Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013


"My only fear of flying is if I won't get enough to eat: "More peanuts, please." What do they call the phobia of someone with anxiety if found too far from their kitchen? If they loose my luggage, there's always shopping.  Today, I found two hard-case Samsonite rolling suitcases at a super thrift store price; yet, in the back of my head is the niggling thought, what if the previous owners found the locks didn't hold and their suitcase guts were spilled out all over the rotating luggage round-about? Why else would they give away perfectly good luggage? My life is an open book, so why not my suitcase?  As for airport security, I will try to remember not to wear the pants with too many large metal buttons that set off the alarm so that  I had to be more extensively searched.  I've flown a few times, but am not a hardened frequent flyer.  It is a pleasure to rise and bid the world as we know it a fond farewell and fly away. 

The only down side is that we are going where it's HOT!  No, not that place.  We're going to hot and humid Virginia. I don't do heat. I will face that fear with a bottle of water in my hand and go forth and seek air conditioning.  Our predecessors carved out their escape from oppression to this land of oppressive heat and brutal cold.  Jamestown even experienced a hurricane similar to Sandy the first few years not even knowing they were supposed to name this weird unknown weather phenom.  They could have called it Pocahontas, or Mayflower, or John Smith, or Big-Twisty-Wind of Destruction.

We hope to walk the cobblestones of our ancestors, the halls of Mt. Vernon, the American History Museum in the Smithsonian, and do a drive-by camera shooting of the monuments in D.C. before collapsing on the aunts' couch.  She's promised in her sweet voice on the phone, "I hope y'all are hungry when you get off that plane cause we're going be eating out!"  That's music to my ears.

"My food is to do the will of Him who sent me."
John 4:34

 
We're not crossing the country by covered wagon
 


 
 or by horseback
 
 
like the pioneers,
 
but by plane.
 
 
"And I saw another strong angel coming down out of heaven, clothed with a cloud; and the rainbow was upon his head, and his face was like the sun, and his feet like pillars of fire...And he placed his right foot on the sea and his left on the land..."
Revelation 10:1-2
 
"That's how it's done from heaven.  I'll just be flying through an angel's head covering
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment