Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

 
This is a sign close to the Capital Bldg. near the American Indian Museum.
 
I think I know what a lemming feels like. As I said earlier, rubbing shoulders on the plane and especially on the DC Metro was quite an experience, perfect strangers up close and personal.  I'm glad that I had upgraded my deodorant as I hung onto an overhead bar for dear life through the starts and stops and jerks with others, possibly very important DC people, in my armpit.  They appear to be too busy reading their phones to notice the  person right in their space or face.  We swayed together like monkeys in a zoo.  People squeezed in the door when there was no more room, tighter than sardines and just as smelly.  Workers who sweated out in the humid DC heat have to get a ride to go home alongside the suit & tie types who are fresh from the Capital building.  The strangest part was everyone totally ignored everyone else as if we were all imaginary people: it was like I found my new super power to be invisible.  There were no sounds except that of the squealing track or an occasional beep of electronics and a voice on the intercom.  People had lost their voices and certainly no eye contact was allowed on this Metro ride. I felt a naughty urge to burst out in song just to see their reactions.  When the doors opened, they flew out of there like homing pigeons. Occasionally a gentleman offered a lady a seat or gave up a handhold on a rail, enough to show that chivalry still lives, and we are after all still human, not zombies with iphones. 

Instead of being a lemming... 
"I am resolved no longer to linger, charmed by the world's delight;
Things that are higher, things that are nobler, These have allured my sight.
I am resolved to go to the Saviour, leaving my sin and strife.
He is the true One; He is the just One; He has the words of life.
I am resolved to follow the Saviour Faithful and true each day,
Heed what He sayeth, do what He willeth, He is the living Way.
I am resolved to enter the Kingdom, leaving the paths of sin.
Friends may oppose me, foes may beset me, Still will I enter in.
I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free.
Jesus, Greatest, Highest,
I will come to Thee."
1849
 
The mass of humanity was on their way home. I couldn't help wonder, how many have the ambition to  reach the true destination their soul was created to desire, to be at home with the Lord.
Squeeze in.  We're on our way! There's always room for one more. 
 
And as always, electronics disliked me and would not let me pass through after we disembarked the Metro. Three machines at different gates ran my ticket through, but would not open for me as it had for others.  I thought for a minute, I was stuck there for eternity.   Al finally found a gate open for me, but it slapped me on the backside as I went through.  Ungracefully saved by grace.

 I imagine the children of Israel got a little sweaty as they massed together for the journey to the Promise Land.

Moses said, "I am not able to bear the burden of you alone. 
The Lord your God has multiplied you,
and behold, you are this day as the stars of the heavens for multitude."
Deuternonomy 1:9-10
 

 
Do you know what this is?  It is outside of Gadsbey's Tavern in Alexandria, VA. and probably used by George Washington.


It is a step down for climbing out of a carriage.

 
This is a picture from Williamsburg, VA., a little slower mode of transportation than the DC Met.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment