Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

 
A crest in a church in Jamestown
 
 
I am not lost, but am searching for my family.  It's called Ancestry.com, and it's about roots, and I unearthed a princess!  It was 1083 AD at William the Conqueror's castle Peveril in Derbyshire, England.  He announced a jousting contest to win the fair hand of his daughter Mellette.  Noblemen came from all over to win the beautiful damsel as their bride along with her dowry of Whittington Castle Shropshire (White Tower in White Town).  Owen Prince of Wales, Eneas Prince of Scotland brought 200 knights.  The Duke of Burgundy brought 300.  Ydromor Prince of Galloway only brought 150, and Guy son of the Johan duc de la Petite-Bretegene (Duke of Brittany), a measely  100 plus his nine brothers.  That must have been quite a sight: a jousting contest to beat all jousting contests which truly was a bloody ordeal possibly eliminating half of the guests.

Mellette is recorded as saying, "'Sire,' no knight is there in all the world that I would take for the sake of riches and the honor of this land but if ever I take such a one he shall be handsome and courteous and accomplished and the most valiant of his order in all Christendom.  Of riches I make no account, for truly can I say that he is rich who has that which his heart desires."

Who do you think won the fair maiden's hand, the one she sent her glove to as encouragement?
Guy le Strange coming from France who remained in England with his bride and conquered with his sword many beautiful lands, a fitting son-in-law for William the Conqueror.  His heart's desire was to remain alive in the jousting contest to win the damsel and her dowry.  "Faint heart never did win fair maiden."  This love story would have been rated "R" for violence.

"These violent delights have violent ends,
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder
Which, as the kiss, consume."
Shakespeare


We are His bride.  My Lord died in a contest to win my heart, but He lives evermore preparing a place for us and is coming on His white horse to receive us unto Himself,  "...I will come again and receive you unto Myself that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:2-3

The kingdoms of this world don't last.  I want to live in His kingdom without end.
 



The castle like ruins of the home of a mayor of Jamestown.


No comments:

Post a Comment