Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Freedom to think, freedom to speak...



It is astounding to think as we celebrate our Fourth of July Independence won from England, that across the world, one fourth of Egyptians, ten million, have taken to the streets to protest the Muslim Brotherhood in the largest protest gathering in human history.  It may be driven by economics, but it also has an element of anti Sharia Law that the increasingly dictatorial Muslim Brotherhood brings: Egyptian women do not want to go backward in their rights and privileges.  Our prayers go to the people and the direction of the new government.


 

Lincoln called Harriet Beecher Stowe "the little woman who caused the (Civil) War."  She was just an author in a day when women could not vote, when higher education for women was rare, and certainly women had no pulpit. Her novel helped to turn the tide of public opinion concerning slavery in "Uncle Tom's Cabin."

I would not put myself in such a category, however, I appreciate the freedom to speak freely in our country and even as facebook extends around the world.  I would like to imagine myself as "the little woman who helped people think.

 


"I can shake off everything as I write,
my sorrows disappear,
my courage is reborn."
Anne Frank
 
"A beautiful woman uses her lips for Truth,
her voice for Kindness,
her ears for Compassion,
her hands for Charity,
and her heart for Love.
For those who do not like her,
she uses prayer."
 
"For there is neither Jew nor Greek,
there is neither slave nor free...,
there is neither male nor female;
for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Galatians 3:28
 
 
Celebrate Freedom!
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment