Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

I think I know what Paul's thorn in the flesh was...

 
Stonewall Jackson

I have a lot of nerve...at least the nerves are still aggravated at me since I got shingles.  Three months is a long time to hold a grudge, or have riled up nerves.  I try to ignore them but find myself gritting my teeth before I realize I've let the pain run ahead of the pain killers. 

Paul had a thorn in the flesh.  Some say it was his poor eyesight, others even suggest it was his wife!!!  Me, I think he had shingles with the lingering nerve problems.  How about you? Do you have a thorn in your flesh?

In this life, Jesus said, we will have troubles.  We don't get our perfect healing of our frail human frame until heaven, it's just that some of us are more frail than others.  I must portion out my limited energy before it hits the wall.  Yet, we can always find someone worse off than we are which bumps us up on the blest list. An attitude of gratitude is shown scientifically to be healing.

Prayer helps.  The day before our big trip to the East Coast, my man's bum knee acted up.  It was time to whip out the ol'cane.  It zipped us up to the front of the line for boarding, but didn't relieve his knee pain.  However, after his sister prayed for him, he rolled over in his sleep and his knee went back into place.  Relief.  The cane still came in handy, but thankfully wasn't needed as we walked all over the Virginia countryside and in DC. trying to keep up with our dear relatives who are in their young seventies.  Sometimes we are healed.  Sometimes we learn lessons while in the pain.

We do not have to look far to see people with heavier burdens than ours.  Our friend literally wasting away from her kidney complications, our friends holding their baby with no earthly hope of survival, and our friend who just lost her husband leaving her alone with four children still at home give perspective to my small suffering. Lord, help us to be thankful for the blessings you have given us and give us the strength to bear up under whatever burden is our lot.

 
.A poor little ol'woman was sick in her bed when the Civil War Battle of Manassas broke out all around her house.  Her family urged her to leave, but she refused.  Finally with canons exploding all around her, they picked her up in her mattress and carried her outside.  She protested so loudly that they turned around and took her back inside her home and put her back to bed.  Snipers overtook the house and thus invited mortar attacks. 
 
 
The lady died in her own bed, in her own house, an innocent victim of the Civil War as Stonewall Jackson looked on. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment