Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

 
My daughter wanted a picture of her and her husband except the baby refused to be put down.  So unseen to the human eye, a baby is being held behind the lovely couple.  Sometimes there is more than meets the eye.  Debilitating physical conditions are often hidden behind a smile.  My condition hopefully has taught me to be kinder than Job's friends. 
 
It was surprising to me that one day in a restaurant, the cashier grabbed my hand and in broken English, clucking like a mother hen, told me my hands were too dry and I should take better care of them.  That was before I connected one and one to realize my condition equaled two, even when the skin on my fingers began painfully cracking open.   A perfect stranger took the time to try to help me when my condition was hidden even from myself.
 
Sjogrens.  It is so unknown that every time I type it in, it is considered misspelled.  Disability has finally recognized it though.  Its symptoms are dry eyes, dry mouth (often with sores), dry skin, dry throat (causing choking), esophagus dryness causing acid reflux, dry lungs causing pneumonia, arthritis and muscle pain, fatigue, malaise, low thyroid, hair loss, weight loss, blurred vision, depression.  These are just my symptoms but sometimes in severe cases other organs can be affected such as liver, kidney, etc.  It is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself.  One autoimmune disease likes another such as Celiac, Lupus, or RA.  Unfortunately, medicines that help also cause weight gain so my days of weight loss are long gone.  Like my doctor reminded me last week, there is no cure.  So he "manages" my care.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia for years until it was fine tuned to Sjogrens.  It is hard for me to decide every day what is laziness, and what is fatigue and malaise brought on by Sjogrens.  Thus, blogging is a wonderful past time but can easily be used to hinder any get-up-and-go until it has gotten-up-and-gone.  We live in a marvelous time of medicine, but the many years it took to diagnose show that a doctor's practice is on you until they get it right; for me it was about thirty years.  It is a testament that we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Job was quite a guy and said in the midst of his pain and loss said, "Thou hast granted me life and lovingkindess; And Thy care has preserved my spirit."  Job 10:12  and in Job 13:15, "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him."  I cannot compare my situation with Job's, except that I too know He has preserved my spirit with His lovingkindness and no matter what, I will hope in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment