Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013



I came across another story of Indians and my kin that was a little happier than the Tomahawk story. Luff and Job Meredith came from Wales to Bucks Co. Pennsylvania about 1670 where an Immigrant Welsh Church had bought land from William Penn.  They were devout Baptists.  Hmm. Those two facts, strange names and strong Baptists, add up to tell me we were probably related.  These brothers migrated south to Delaware one summer along with Job's two children, Job II, age 14, and Ruth, age 12.  They came across a natural cave, dry and warm along Cow Marsh.



These men, a father and an uncle, decided to leave the children there alone with pelts, a musket, and ammunition to last 2 weeks.  Obviously, there was no mother to veto this bad decision.  Upon returning in October to find the children, a deep snow had fallen and covered the trail until March.  Job Jr. and his sister were alone for months.  Fortunately, friendly Indians had stopped over on the way to their winter camping grounds and befriended the pair.  In exchange for the pelts, the Indians taught the children how to use the bow and arrow and gave them corn and taught them how to pound it.  They survived. 

 

To think, I hesitate to leave my two alone at that age while I run to the grocery store!   No parent was there to make sure they were warm, fed and in their beds by nine o'clock.  No one told them to brush their teeth or clean their room-cave.  There was not even a phone to call CPS.  But no one had to remind them to say their prayers: I think those youngsters were fervent in their bedtime prayers, and God sent Indian angels to help to keep them alive. 


 

In the old days, they didn't have to watch "Survivor" or "Naked and Afraid."  They just lived it.  "Hunger Games" was more than an imaginary place, it was a reality show for Job Jr. and his sister Ruth.  Job senior should have reread the original Job in his sorrow over losing his children and Ruth's "whither thou goest, I will go..." and not left his youngsters.  Actually they started a Baptist church there at Cow Marsh and Luff was listed as a preacher.

"But Ruth said, 'Do not urge me to leave you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge....Your God, my God.   Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried.  Thus my the Lord do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me.'  When she saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more to her."  Ruth 1:16-18


Mothers seem to carry a child on their hip forever.  When they get too big for that, she carries them in her heart, sometimes even heavier  with the burden.   Nothing but death can separate us, and that is only temporary.  What survival tips have you left your children with?

No comments:

Post a Comment