Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

I love dogs.  I drool all over them.  But there are some breeds I don't let my kids pet, no matter how cute and loved the puppy is.  It's because the dog bites aren't in the paper, but your hear about them, like the little girl who had her face bit off, yes, here in town by the family's pet.


 
 
 Certain breeds cause most of the dog bites which are treated in the E.R.  The two dogs who mauled to death our junior college's llamas and goats weren't doxies or the local high school FFA goats weren't mauled and killed by pugs.  There are certain breeds which have earned enough of a bad name that they are outlawed in some places.  They have been bred as guard dogs with a tendency to a mean temperament, sometimes unpredictably vicious.  Which breeds have killed nice little ladies walking their little doggy?  Was it a Yorkie?  No.   That's why I don't appreciate you letting your breed run loose at the park playground.  Yes, you love your dog.  Yes, you swear it wouldn't hurt a flea.  But why are there more of that breed in the pound than others?  Temperament.   You may trust your pooch, but don't ask me to if it is trying to break down my fence to attack my dogs or kids.  It doesn't mean I don't love dogs or like you.  I just believe statistics which are stacked against your breed.   Any dog can bite when scared or injured: mine has.  I've been bit by the sweetest dog in the world, and it hurts just as badly.  It hurts so much that I don't want to be bit by yours.  I'm not putting you in any category, but have you noticed the kind of people who own that kind of dog in our community and asked yourself why?  They don't want anyone to bother them.  Protection.  I'm glad you and your dog are the exception, just don't ask me to get gushy about your four footed baby.  I will walk a wide circle around  you to avoid them.  Is that what you want?

 

"By wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; And by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches."
  Prov. 24:3-4 
 
 
If you need a guard dog, by all means get one but keep it on a chain,
 and respect it for what it is bred for.  But choose a proven people-friendly breed for a pet. 
There're so many to choose from!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment