Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

 
 
I fell in love with Curly.  I had a Curly crush.  He was my first love. He was a paper doll from the musical "Oklahoma."  We did not go to movies, but my parents went to the Starlight theater in Kansas City, the outdoor theater in Swope Park, to see "Oklahoma." They brought home the record (you know, one of those giant CD looking things) and paper dolls.  My sister got the girl.  I got Curly and loved the beautiful man doll made of paper.


I grew up listening to the "Oklahoma" original soundtrack.  There was one song that my mother would carefully skip the needle of the phonograph over, "It's All or Nothing With Me."  So, when she forgot to move the needle, I would listen more carefully to try to figure out in my preschool brain what was so bad about the song.  The "loose" two-timing characters sang the lyrics back and forth, "It's all or nothin' with me. C'ain't be now and then, c'aint be in between, no half and half will do for me." "Not even somethin'?"  "No, it's all or nothing with me."  I used to belt it out singing those forbidden lyrics lustily.


Actually, the lesson in the right context is quite good.  That's God's kind of love, the love He desires from us because that's the kind of love He offers to us...or are you living in this heartbreak world holding out singing, "Many a new day will dawn before 'I do.'"  Do you love God with half-measures or with your whole heart?

"Hear O Israel!
The Lord your God is one God!
And you shall love the Lord your God
 with all your heart
and with all your soul
and with all your might."
Deuteronomy 6:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment