Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013


 
 
Pardon moi...
 
A conversation overheard in a waiting room..."Mom, when can we move back to France?"  "We can't."  "Why not?"  "Because we've never lived there so we can't move back."  Or my granddaughter Grace on the verge of tears, "How will I know what I'm going to be when I grow up, a biker or a surfer?"  Or a little foster grandson hoping someone will love him enough to not send him away, "But I have to be in time-out sometimes.  I try to be good, but sometimes I cry and have a fit."  Or the foster granddaughter wondering why they were taken away: was it was the traffic ticket her father could not afford to pay?

I remember that even in my secure home I used to wonder if I was adopted, that I really wasn't one of them, and would try that on for size in my imagination.  After all, I was a brunette with two blonde siblings.  Somehow it all comes out in the wash. The years have mellowed us into a trio with much more of a resemblance to each other than used to be apparent.  "Life is full of "What if's..."  When I was first pregnant, I used to wonder if I was in a room full of babies would I recognize which was mine if I had never seen his face at birth?  Inquiring minds just want to know.

Sometimes, we are as confused as the disciples on what to do with a Messiah like Jesus.  So many questions with answers that don't fit our preconceived notions.  "Are you the...One or do we wait for another?" (Luke 7:18)  Should we wait and see if He does a miracle with our finances, gives us a good job, or good kids or a good marriage, good health, or should we wait for another Saviour.  Are we really part of the family of God?  Do  I look anything like my Father in heaven?   What if I'm not good enough and need discipline, will He send me away?  Why do I always feel not as loved as the ones who are not adopted?  Does God really love the Jew more than the Gentile?  What will I be when I grow up?  So many questions, and He doesn't owe us an explanation.  All He wants us to completely understand is how much He loves us, has laid down His life for us so that we can do better than moving to France. We can live with Him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment