Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2016

 
Christmas:
"Woe is me, I am undone."
 
Well, it's done.  Or is it undone?  All the dead bodies of the Santa collection are buried 6 feet under in the garage along with all the baubles, all the lights, all the yard decorations, and all the special nativities.  This is the first year I did not rush out to buy the markdown of Christmas sales to add to the collection. Well, that's if I don't count the one small box of LED lights in case I get a bum string of them next year, and one small dark chocolate bar to melt to make one last batch of chocolate covered gf pretzels.  That's all.  That's it.  Christmas is officially over at our house.  The tree couldn't have been drier than one on the Mojave Desert leaving a trail of needles all the way out the front door.  Just don't imagine we're changing our name "Jolley" for something a little less seasonal, however.  It sticks.

What took me so long?  I could say it's a family tradition to leave the decorations up until New Years. But to be honest, it's just called procrastination.  Yeah, I do like to squeeze the last drop of Christmasing out of the month, but even I have to admit when it's over.  Though  I didn't do the shop-till-I-drop thingy and the party hardy gig, I thoroughly enjoyed Christmas. 




The funny things about those memories though, they can't be boxed up and locked away in the dark.  They have a way of coming out of the closet throughout the year to warm my heart.  But it's not the decorations.  It's the family.  The friends.  (And yes, the food.) It's the special Christmas services.  It's a baby who will grow in our hearts all year, every year until Kingdom come.
 
 
Even the manger is empty...
 
 
"The grass (even Christmas trees) withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stand forever."
Isiah 40:8

"Thy word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against Thee...
I will not forget Thy word."
Psalm 119:11,16
 






No comments:

Post a Comment