Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2016



Owning a dog is as easy as breathing, only slower: let the dog in, let the dog out, let the dog in...well, you get the jest.   This is my daily agenda.  When we are gone, how long is all gaged on "we have to get home to let the dog out."  That is our homing instinct.  Actually, as a homebody and a dog person, this is my comfort zone.  I'm okay with it.  It is actually my exercise program too.


Since I accidently posted two of my blogs instead of one yesterday, I thought I would take a little dog nap instead of a cat nap sort of digression in my Bible study.   I learned a thing or two though...



Did you know that after the last plague, that terrible one where all the first born were killed and when their slave drivers were finally convinced to let them go, that Exodus speaks of dogs?  It says in Exodus 11:7, "But against any of the sons of Israel a dog shall not even bark, whether against man or beast..."  When the children of Israel were finally to flee for freedom, the dogs would not be called out, would not even bark. 
 
His teeth are showing from hunger.
Just throw him a  blueberry, already then...

Did you know that David actually had a phrase in one of his Psalms about a dog?  "Deliver my soul from the sword; My only life from the power (paw) of the dog." (Psalm 23:20) I didn't know David was afraid of dogs, did you? 


Indeed, in Psalm 59:6 he describes his enemies as those who howl like a dog as they go around the city.  Even Ecclesiastically speaking, "surely a live dog is better than a dead lion."  Now that's not a commonly used phrase any more.  (Ecclesiastes 9:4)  And Bible quotes about dogs go downhill from there.

 
You've heard of Old Testament prophets?
This is an Old Testamenty-looking dog.

David must have passed down to his son Solomon a little of his strange opinions about dogs for one of his proverbs is, "Like one who takes a dog by the ears is he who passes by and meddles (infuriates) with strife not belonging to him." (Proverbs 26:17)  Hmm.  Spoken from experience there Solomon? And I heard you were one of the smartest men who ever lived.  Didn't L.B.J. pick his beagles up by their ears? 


Some think the last Republican hope in the previous election was lost when a picture surfaced of their presidential candidate taking the family dog on a vacation with it strapped to the roof in a cage.  Dog lovers united against the man worse than someone who takes a dog by the ears.  At least the man's many children were seat-belted inside and not up on top.  (Once we saw an El Camino going down the road with a baby in its playpen in the back.  Now that had me riled up!  Oh, how I digress.) 



So, are you under conviction about dogs from this Bible study?  Me, neither.  Let sleeping dogs lie. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment