Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

PSALM 16 continued...
 

 
EVER AND MORE
 
Last we looked, we had fallen in pleasant places...sounds to me like when I fall down in bed, pull my covers up and rest with my head on my Egyptian cotton pillow case.  ZZZ. 
 
"I will bless the lord
who has counseled me;
Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night.
I have set the Lord continually before me;
Because He is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
Therefore, my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices..."
 

 
Sometimes the mind that is instructing me keeps me awake at night. The literal meaning here is my kidneys, and this doesn't mean making me get up in the night to use the restroom.  This is short for my inner most being.  The kidneys "from their retired situation in the body...and being hidden in fat, are often used in Scripture for the most secret workings and affections of the heart (I like to keep mine really hidden in fat for their protection obviously)...the most secret purposes and affections of the soul are to be devoted to God.  'In the night seasons.'  That is, in the time of My passion."  In His passion, Jesus prayed until He sweat great drops of blood while his disciples could not stay awake. 

 
So, if God is keeping me awake, whether it is my mind instructing me or my kidneys, I'd better use the time wisely.  It is an honor for God to speak to me.  I have given Him my permission to speak to me day or night and I would try to listen, to stay awake even, whatever is His passion.  Whether it is guilt issues to be resolved or needs for prayer to be lifted up, because He is at my right hand, I won't be shaken up.  It is those shaken up wild thoughts of fear that cause me to be wide-eyed in the night.  I have to pray.  Thank the Lord, God is on the other end of the line.  I am not alone. 
 
 
He's a good, good Father, and I can rest in His love.
 
I am in bed with God and He is in bed with me.  He is on my right hand.  I am His passion and He is mine.  It is my vow, my choice to set the Lord continually before me.  Do you know any better way to make the heart glad?

 
"My flesh also will dwell securely.
For Thou will not abandon my soul to Sheol;
Neither wilt Thou allow Thy Holy One to undergo decay.
(see corruption or the pit.)"
(verses 9b-10)
 
 
Get your passport ready;
we're going up into the wild blue yonder.
 


 
Peter quotes this passage as concerning Christ in Acts 2: 25-31.  But I too want to dwell securely.  I want to claim that He will not abandon my soul to the nether world.   Because Christ overcame death and even decay, we too have that hope.  If we took a vote right here, I can safely bet that would be your vote too.  Being abandoned is one of the great fears of life and dying, another.  It has been taken care of.  Somewhere between our death and the funeral, we will skip being put in the ground but will redeem our ticket up and away.  Only the shell will be left, but the peanut, this guber, will fly away some glad morning. 

 
 
"Thou wilt make known to me the path of life;
In Thy presence is fullness of joy;
In Thy right hand there are pleasures forever."
(verse 11)

 
Recently our son took his family on a little vacation to the coast.  Vacations are so special, not only because of all the sights, but because it is a happy, joyful time of being together away from daily distractions that pull people in different directions.  After they had made their way up the coast away from their lodgings, they headed home.  About an hour away from the end of their trip, their four year old daughter asked when they would get back to their cabin by the ocean.  When she was told that they were almost home, she freaked out wailing, "What!  I don't want our vacation to be over!"  She spent much of the remainder time in the car crying.

 
This time here below only promises that along that path of life, His presence.  That is where the fullness of joy is. Time in His presence is just a hint of what is to come.  More literally, the path of life is translated to be paths because as Adam Clarke explains, "as this resurrection implies the life of the body, and the life of the rational soul also." And we are talking about the path of life that leads us to eternity.  'Thy faces.'" (Thy presence)  This is also plural, as in the Trinity.  If we have seen Christ, we have seen God.  Someday when we get to our true home, there will be no crying because there will be pleasures forever.  "'Pleasures for evermore.' Onwardly; perpetually, continually...ever and more." 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment