Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2016

PSALM 19
An Observation Tower




My junior high aspiration for a career choice was to man a forest service lookout tower.  Thus, I enjoyed living vicariously through Becky's son Ray Carey's book of his musings while being on forest fire watch from his tower in the Mendocino National Forest with a view of Clear Lake, "Easy Days & Mellow Nights: Adventures from My Life As a Fire Lookout."  I could have handled sitting in a tower looking out across the trees.  I used to love heights.  I could have handled being by myself for long periods of time.  I could have soaked up the quiet.  I could have weathered the thunder and lightning storms.  I could have read a lot in my spare time.  But that didn't happen when I married as soon as I turned 19, finished my college degree, followed my husband as he pastored, had three children, adopted three more, and then we were blessed with oodles of grandbabies.  No regrets.

 

But as life has  s l o w d e d  down for me, I sit in my chosen place and look out over the land of Facebook, e-books (which don't cost any trees their lives), with my Bible and with a view of the sky above the green of my yard, cloudy, rainy, stormy, and sometimes am on tornado watch.  The only fire I see is in my gas fireplace.  I soak up time alone.  I lap up the quiet preferring to limit music mostly for car time.  I suddenly realized, I am in my tower. 

But from where I sit, I am responsible to scrutinize myself.  We spend a lot of our lives looking out at others, some are hotspots.  I've been guilty of crying "Fire!" over some who have had the flames of the other place licking at their heels.  I come running with the water of the Word.  However, when Psalm 19 speaks of the law of the Lord, "Moreover, by them Thy servant is warned (sees everything clearly,)" that servant is me, personally.  We have to answer only in the end for ourselves.




 
"Who can discern his errors
Acquit me of hidden faults
Also keep back Thy servant
from presumptuous sins.
Let them not rule over me;
Then I shall be blameless,
And I shall be acquitted
of great transgression.
Let the words of my mouth
and the mediation of my heart
Be acceptable in Thy sight,
O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer."
 
Psalm 19:11-14

Wait, who hid those faults anyway?
Presumptuous?  Who me?
That means "audacious."

Some sins are easier to hide than others.
Help me discern when I'm keeping something under cover.
But Lord help me when I am audaciously, presumptuously sinning.
Don't let it rule me.  I want You to rule so that I can be blameless.
Acquit me of my guilt, sinning against You.

 
"Let the words...and meditations"
mouth and heart

In the last verse,
the Psalmist "has prayed against the practical sin,
the sins of the body; now, against the sins of the mouth
and of the heart."
(Adam Clarke)
 
 
"O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer"
 
My Redeemer, "'my kinsman,'
he whose right it is to redeem the forfeited inheritance."
Think of Boaz redeeming the heritage of Ruth and Naomi,
think of Christ, our Redeemer, our Kinsman.

This is the view I want to see from my observation tower.

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment