Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

PSALM 6 "I AM PINING AWAY..." 

 

 
I'll bet you didn't know that country way of talking was in the Bible, now did you.  You thought it was first used in the piney woods of South Carolina or Tennessee.  Well, it's got more rings of age than a giant redwood tree.  This passage has phrases like "pining away" or "my soul is sore vexed," "I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears," and more.  Sound like a country western song yet?  How about a Holy Land kind of country song of David's?  It was probably played on some kind of 8 stringed instrument.  A guitar?  It at least implies it is an eight stringed instrument that is strummed.



 
More than this, the song could have been written by David as a result of having woman trouble, the after effects of Bathsheba.  Some think David got pretty sick, down and out after their little affair, after his grave sin.  Remember, it wasn't just adultery, but David put out a hit job out on her husband.  That's a lot of guilt.  Thus the begging, "rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure."  Now I don't even want to go there, to experience God's hot displeasure.  It's called wrath.  Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak: O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed."  He even thinks he might be dying and reminds God "of the praise glory which God would fail to receive if man were destroyed."  Not that's what I call bargaining with the good Lord! 


 
His "have mercy," is because he has no merit.  He deserved all he felt and all he feared, is how Adam Clarke described David.  "No earthly physician can cure my malady.  Body and soul are both diseased, and only God can help me...'I am exceedingly weak'; I cannot take nourishment, and my strength is exhausted." (Adam Clarke)  Mercy!  He is sick, body and soul. 

 
I hope, my friend, that you have never felt this soul sick, but if you have, may you be restored as David was as a man after God's own heart.  For you see, God was so grieved for sin that He gave His only Son which means that Father God's heart was as wounded as any pain we could ever imagine, all for the love of us. 

 
 
Finally, David puts his feeling ashamed and sore vexed on his enemies saying, "let them be ashamed."  Adam Clarke has an interesting slant on this: "May they as deeply deplore their transgressions as I have done mine!  May they return; may they be suddenly converted!  The original will bear this meaning, and it is the most congenial to Christian principles."  Is that our first thoughts for those who have done us wrong and seek our ill?


I have no idea why I have seen these last two Psalms as country western.  I don't listen to country western music much.  It's not that I don't like it.  I do.  It has harmony which is often sorely lacking in a lot of other music.  But unless it's country Gospel, I am not much acquainted with it, being more of a Bluegrass kind of girl.  But you can't grow up in the US of A and not be aware of our deep country roots.  Well, I guess you can't grow up in Israel and not have a little twang either.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment