Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

Psalm One Done...

 
Tell me it ain't so, "the ungodly are not so."  It's the biggest shame upon the earth that ungodly people have rejected such a good God.  They "are like the chaff which the wind driveth away," dried up without roots.
 



 
I live in a subdivision whose entrance is marked by a beautiful waterfall.  It's streets are lined with what were new trees which are growing into maturity, some which reach almost like a canopy over us as we go by.  There are cow pastures just over the fence, which delights my country loving soul.  In fact, we have tumbleweeds.  Sometimes they blow into the street.  I know what the chaff looks like.  Around here it is rice chaff that is burned.   

 
"Therefore they will be like the morning cloud
And like dew which soon disappears,
Like chaff which is blown away
from the threshing floor
And like smoke from a chimney.
Yet I have been the Lord your God
Since the land of Egypt;
And you were not to know any god except Me,
For there is no savior besides Me.
I cared for you in the wilderness,
In the land of drought.
As they had their pasture,
they became satisfied,
their heart became proud;
Therefore they forgot Me."
 
Hosea 13:3-6
 
 
 
Chaff is also separated by winnowing at harvest.  That's when the grain is tossed into the air and the heavy grains fall back into the basket while the worthless straw blows away.  Sometimes a fork is used to toss the grain up to separate the good from the worthless.  It's not a pretty picture for the ungodly.  "The way of the ungodly shall perish."(Psalm 1:6)  In Jesus' words it gets a little more horrifying...
 
"His winnowing fork is in His hand,
and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor;
and He will gather His wheat into the barn,
but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
Matthew  3:12
 
(Excuse me?  
Did Jesus really say that? 
Yep.)

 
They lose their seat in the congregation.  They won't be able to stand in the judgment probably because they will be so prostrate with regret when facing the consequences of rejecting God:  "the way of the ungodly will perish."

 
The good news is that "God knoweth the way of the righteous."  That almost always makes me look over my shoulder to look for the righteous, the ones who that verse is talking about, before I turn around and point to myself saying, "Who me?  You're talking about me?"  Yep.  He knoweth my way.  He knoweth all those meditations day and night.  Adam Clarke says, "The Lord knoweth, 'approveth' of the righteous."  He knows what my delight is in.  He has planted me, watered me, cultivated me, and has seen the fruit.  But righteous can mean "made right with God."  That is through the blood of Jesus Christ, the only way, for as the Scripture says, "there is no savior besides Me."

Sometimes I think we are gathered on the Sabbath to be tossed like wheat, to separate the wheat from the chaff in our thinking.  Sadly, many outside those doors have already walked away from the eternal grains of truth.  "The answer my friend is blowing in the wind."
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment