Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2016

PSALM 27

A Psalm of Fearless Trust in God




 David was weary



Just because he had killed the giant Goliath,
Now they had to fight his huge sons and brothers.
His men feared for David's life, that the light of Israel
would be snuffed out, so they held him back and fought for him.
This Psalm was David's answer though weary
(II Samuel 21)

Do you still have more battles even after a great victory?
Are you weary?

"The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?"
(Giants?)
...My heart will not fear
Though war arise against me,
In spite of this I shall be confident."
(verses 1, 3)


 
"I am in the hand of God;
and while in that hand, I am safe."



When I taught these verses in children's church,
When we asked "Whom shall I fear?"
They would shout, "NOBODY!"
"Whom shall I dread?"
"NOBODY!"

What if we went about fearlessly shouting like the children when fear comes upon us?  In spite of everything, don't let your heart fear: "Be confident!"  God is our defense.  Why?  because God is good.

 
This is David's retirement plan
that he dreamed about back in the army camps...
 
 
"One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord
And to meditate in His temple.
For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle;
In the secret place of His tent
He will hide me;
He will lift me up on a rock.
And now my head will be lifted up
above my enemies around me,
And I will offer in His tent
sacrifices with shouts of joy.
I will sing, yes,
I will sing praises to the Lord."
(verses 4-6)

 
Remember when David wanted to build the temple for God? God told him no thank you, that he had too much blood on his hands, too many battles, and that the task of building the temple would fall to his son, Solomon.  But David longs for the temple when he is weary in battle.  It is where he wanted to retire.  The very place he wants to curl up and rest is in the very holy of holies, the secret place of His tent to be safely hidden.  This is the heart of God.  This is where we long to dwell where we can be completely safe, completely hidden.  This is not possible in any earthly place of worship.  How radical this would sound to the Israelites that their king wants to live in the holy of holies!

 
"The 'tabernacle' is 'pavilion,' comes from 'papilip', a butterfly.  It signifies a tent made of cloth, stretched out on poles; which in form resembles, in some measure, the insect above named."  This tent which had been the place of worship as it traveled with the children of Israel, still was flitting as a fragile thing, a tent, one who would flap in the wind.  This is not a stone fortress.  Yet, perhaps knowing he can dwell in the place of God, it is God Himself who makes him safe.


This is the longing for which the Holy Spirit is the answer, the Comforter who has come.  This is our privilege, to have not a visitation, but an indwelling of the very Presence of God in our heart and lives.  We don't dwell in a building, not even in a tent, but He dwells in us!  When the curtain was torn from the top to the bottom revealing the holy of holies, it was our invitation to come into the very heart of God, offering for us to dwell there on the mercy seat where in heaven He ever liveth to make intercession for us. 



David's longing is prophetic of God's plan of sending the Holy Spirit,
that we can have an indwelling of the Holy Spirit, the rest of God
promised to the children of God.
(Hebrews 4, The Believer's Rest)

 

 
"There is such a thing as having an undercurrent of consciousness running through a man's life and mind, such a thing as having a melody sounding in our ears perpetually 'so sweet we know not we are listening to it' until it stops and then by the poverty of the naked and silent atmosphere, we know how musical were the sounds we scarcely knew that we heard and yet did hear so well high above all the din of earth's noises."  (MacLaren's Exposition)



"A home-born child, living at home with his Father.  This is our dearest wish...we pine for our Father's house above, the home of our souls; ...reverently adore our glorious God." (The Treasury of David)

 
"To behold the BEAUTY of the Lord."
"The delightfulness of the Lord."
De-light-fullness
"pleasantness, loveliness of the divine character"
(Barnes)
The beauty of holiness.

 
"To taste how good and gracious He is."  How do we behold the beauty of the Lord?  We meditate.  We open our eyes.  We set our hearts to see, to behold the delightfulness of our God.  David is saying this as he is imagining being wrapped in the heart of worship, dwelling there.  Remember in Creation, fresh from the hand of God, He said, "It is good."  This is beauty.  But even more than the hand of God, we find His beauty in His heart.  

Find Beauty.  Find rest for your weary soul in the heart of God.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment