Pages

Monday, February 15, 2016

PSALM 30
 
 
THE MYKELNESS OF JOY!
 
This is a beaut!
Put your dancing shoes on!!!
 
Some believe this Psalm may have been written after a plague that threatened the whole kingdom:  "Calmet supposes it to have been made by David on the dedication of the place which he built on the threshing floor of Arannah, after the grievous plague which had so nearly desolated the kingdom. (II Samuel 24:25 & I Chronicles 21:26)...it is supposed that the Psalm, like many others of the same complexion, has been formed out of the memoranda of a diary" (an ancient way of writing a blog).

 
"I will extol You, O Lord, for
You have lifted me up,
And have not let my enemies
rejoice over me.
O Lord my God,
I cried to You for help,
and You healed me.
O Lord, You have brought up my soul from Sheol;
(the netherworld)
You have kept me alive,
that I would not go down to the pit.
Sing praise to the Lord, you His godly one,
And give thanks to His holy name."
(NASV)

 
This is the Psalm of relief,
"Thou hast removed the plague from my people
by which they were perishing in
thousand before my eyes.
I and my people were both about to be cut off;
but Thou hast spared us in mercy,
and given us a most glorious respite."

 
Adam Clarke:
"Give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. 
'Be ye holy,' saith the Lord;
for I am holy.'
He who can give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness
is one who love holiness;
--who hates sin;
who long to be saved from it;
and takes encouragement at the recollection of
God's holiness,
as he sees in this the holy nature which he is to share,
and the perfection which he is here able to attain.
But most who call themselves Christians hate the doctrine of holiness;
never hear it inculcated without pain;
and the principal part of their studies,
and those of their pastors,
is to find out with how little holiness
they can rationally expect to enter into
the kingdom of God.
O fatal and soul-destroying delusion!
How long will a holy God suffer such abominable doctrines
to pollute His church and destroy the souls of men!"
 
O my! 
Could the plague today be that of a sinning doctrine
that has spread throughout the land?

 
 
"Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of His,
and give thanks at the remembrance of His holiness."
(KJV, verse 4) 
 
"For His anger endureth but a moment
in His favour is life;
(His favor is for a lifetime, NASV)
weeping may endure for a night,
but joy cometh in the morning."
(But a shout of joy comes in the morning, NASV).
(KJV, verse 5)
 
 
Somehow I don't think this verse equates to a twenty-four hour schedule of night and morning.
"There I an elegant abruptness in these words, in the Hebrew Text. 
'For a moment, in His anger...
In the evening weeping may lodge:
but in the morning exultation. 
So good is God, that He cannot delight
in either the depression or ruin of His creatures.
When He afflicts, it is for our advantage,
that we may be partaker of His holiness,
and be not condemned with the world.
If He be angry with us,
it is but for a moment:
--but when we have recourse to Him,
and seek His face,
His favour is soon obtained;
and there are lives in that favour--
the life that now is,
and the life that is to come.
When weeping comes,
it is only to lodge for the evening:
but singing will surely come in the morning.
The description of God's slowness to anger,
and readiness to save, is given by a man long and
deeply acquainted with God as his judge,
and as his Father."

 
Okay, now, put on your dancing shoes...
 
"Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing:
thou hast put off my sackcloth,
and girded me with gladness.
(KJV, verse 11)


That's worth repeating:
 
 
"You have turned for me my
mourning into dancing;
You have loosed my sackcloth
and girded me with gladness,
That my soul may sing praise to You
and not be silent.
O Lord my God,
I will give thanks to You forever."
(verses 11-12 NASV)

 
"Thou hast turned--my mourning into dancing.
Rather piping...
Thou hast taken away my sackcloth, the emblem of my
distress and misery;
and girded me with gladness,
when Thou didst say to the destroying angel,
when he stood over Jerusalem
ready to destroy it,
It is enough, stay now thy hand."
 
Okay, it may take awhile to change out of the sack cloth,
like the mummy cloths of Lazarus before he could be resurrected.
I can't say too much because I have not walked too deeply in it, in grief.
The closest I came was when my parents died,
but it was an answer to prayer after a long good-bye of dementia.
Knowing they are whole and happy in heaven,
yes, even my mother is dancing and my father who could not
carry a tune in a bucket is finally able to sing like he longed to do,
brings joy, not sorrow.  Sure I miss the good, good times we had,
but they have stepped beyond for a moment.

 
It is up to you how long the night is,
how long weeping is lodged in your heart.
But I think God says,
"Take your time, but when you are ready,
the morning is on the horizon.  Joy waits." 
Kick off your fuzzy slippers
and put on your dancing shoes,
cause we're going to have some piping going on around here!

 
The Old Psalter
 
(I love going to the Emerald Isle in my delight over these word!
By the way, these are quoted because
they are some of the earliest translations even though
they were in the isles in Old English, from the latin.)
 
"That my joy syng til the,
and I be not stang (stung)...

 
"The dede and the sorrow of our syn God turne in til joy
of remissioun; and schere oway oure sekk (drive away our distress)
and umgyf (surround) qwen we dye,
with gladnes.  That oure joy syng til hym,
tat has gyfen us that joy:
for we be no more stanged (stung)
with conscience of syn:
na dred of dede or of dome;
but withouten ende we sal loue (praise) him.
Na tunge may telle na herte may think the mykelnes
of joy that es in louing (praising) of hym in gast,
in southfastne
i.e. in spirit and truth.


 
"stanged" = "stung"
"Stung with conscience of sin"
"no dred of dede"
No dread of death.
 
"Oh, death, where is your sting?"
 
"No tunge (tongue) may telle
na herte (heart) may think
the mykelnes of joy
that es in louing (praising) of hym.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment