Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016


PSALM 38
 
Wow, dude, David is in a really bad way.  I think he confused himself with Job or something.  The whole psalm is a woe is me-ism.  It was like when our three year old Robin came out one night getting up from her bed to say, "I feel like a big blob of dead horse."  Yep, that was David alright.



"O Lord, rebuke me not in Your wrath,
And chasten me not in Your burning anger.
For Your arrows have sunk deep into me,
And Your hand has pressed down on me."
(verses 1-2)


 
I hate criticism as much as the next guy.  In fact it is a driving force in my life to stay above criticism.  I do my best, you know, so back off.  I hate it when even God wants to correct me.  I tend to get my hackles up.  But how can I grow if I do not allow Him to rebuke me, correct me, chastise me, critique me?  His arrows have hit the bulls eye a few times, I must admit. Yep, it hurts.


 
It is thought that this psalm was written after David's dalliance with Bathsheba. "...it was in reference to some severe affliction David had after his illicit commerce with Bathsheba."  Illicit commerce?  It was adultery that led to murder.  David had her husband, his most loyal soldier, sent to the front , the heat of the battle where he would surely die.  Adultery.  Murder. Guilt.


 
Yet, David, a man after God's own heart did not let go of his hope...
 
"Lord, all my desire is before You;
And my sighing is not hidden from You...
For I hope in You, O Lord;
You will answer, O Lord my God...
For I am ready to fall,
And my sorrow  (pain) is continually before me.
For I confess my iniquity;
I am full of anxiety because of my sin...
Do not forsake me, O Lord;
O my God, do not be far from me!
Make haste to help me,
O Lord, my salvation!"
(verses 9, 15, 17, 18, 21-22

 

 
"Save, Lord, or perish.  Whoever carefully reads over this Psalm, will see, what a grievous and bitter thing it is to sin against the Lord; and, especially, to sin after having known His mercy, and after having escaped from the corruption that is in the world.  Reader, be on thy guard: a life of righteousness maybe lost by giving way to a moments temptation; and a fair character sullied
forever!  Let him that most assuredly standeth take heed lest he fall.
 
'Tis but a grain of sweet that one can sow,
To reap a harvest of wide-wasting woe.'"*
 
*Quotes from Adam Clarke
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment