Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

PSALM 40 continued...
 
"I delight to do your will..."

 
 
"Then I said, 'Behold I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me ;
I delight to do Thy will, O my God;
Thy Law is within my heart.'
I have proclaimed glad tidings
of righteousness in the great congregation;
Behold, I will not restrain my lips,
O Lord, Thou knowest.
I have not hidden Thy righteousness within my heart;
I have spoken of Thy faithfulness and Thy salvation;
I have not concealed Thy lovingkindness
and Thy truth will continually preserve me."
 
In these verses it is most commonly seen that this is spoken prophetically about Christ.
 
"Jesus said to them, 'My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me,
and to accomplish His work."


 
There is no more exquisite perfection than this, to delight in God's will: no matter the cost, there is joy, delight.  "Who, for the joy set before Him, endured the cross..."  Thus, what is good for the goose is good for the gander.  Just because it is spoken prophetically about Christ, it should be true in our lives as well.  This strikes at the very heart of our sin nature.  Adam and Eve found their delight in a bite of a forbidden fruit.  Ever since then, we have all gone astray, each of us to our own way trying to do anything and everything except His will.  Yet, it compels us, calls us, to find delight in His will, the laying down of our rebelliousness to find rest in the delight in His will. 

 
"Thy Law is in my heart."
 
In David's time, the written word was simply contained in the first five books of the Old Testament, the Law.  But something greater is revealed here, something that leaps off the page of the rolled up animal skin books, it is the promise of the coming of the Holy Spirit which is foretold...


 
Jeremiah 31: 33
 
"I will put My law within them,
and on their heart I will write it;
and I will be their God,
and they will be My people."
 
Again in Ezekiel 11:19-20
 
"And I shall give them one heart,
and shall put a new spirit within them.
And I shall take the heart of stone out of their flesh
and give them a heart of flesh,
that they may walk in my statues (the Law)
and keep My ordinances, and do them.
Then they will be My people,
and I shall be their God.
 
Then in I Corinthians 3:2-3
 
"You are our letter, written in our hearts,
known and read by all men;
being manifested that you are a letter of Christ,
cared for by us, written not with ink,
with the Spirit of the living God,
not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts."
 

 
I tend to get excited anytime Scripture talks about writing in books such as in this passage.  It says "I will not restrain my lips."  This is the same urgency I have in writing, unrestrained, to proclaim
"glad tidings."  The great congregation is prophetically an audience of not only Jews, but the Gentiles whom the disciples were sent to proclaim the good news.  It goes without saying though that what is in the heart will bubble out.  You better hope that it is glad and good things which will come out of the heart, out of the lips, out of the pen, a fountain of pure water, otherwise we would be guilty of spewing ugly things of darkness. 

 
 
"I have proclaimed,
I will not restrain,
I have not hidden,
I have spoken,
I will not conceal...
 
Thy righteousness,
Thy faithfulness,
Thy lovingkindness,
Thy truth..."
 
Thy lovingkindness, "Thy overflowing or super abundant mercy,
mercy to help me, truth to direct me; and by the operation of both
I shall be continually preserved from sin and evil."
(Adam Clarke)
 
"Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord;
let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me."
(verse 11 KJV)

 
 
"Tender mercies, such propensities and feelings as a mother bears to her child;
or animals, in general, to their young."
 
Delighting to do the will of one who has such lovingkindness and tender mercies towards us,
is our raison d'etre, reason for being, as the chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.



So go enjoy God, delight to do His will.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment