Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

PSALM 40, too hard to count...
 
 
 
 
"How blessed is the man who has made the Lord his trust,
And has not turned to the proud,
nor to those who lapse into falsehood.
Many, O Lord my God,
are the wonders which Thou hast done.
And Thy thought toward us;
There is none to compare with Thee;
If I would declare and speak of them,
They would be too numerous to count."
(verses 4-5)


 
There are certain jobs I'm not suited for,
like professional bull riding,
or ditch digger
or waitress
or cashier.
 
Some I have too much respect for, like the bull, others I don't have enough muscle for like something to do with a shovel, whereas a waitress and cashier would require me handling money and smiling.  Not happening.  When I sit down at a restaurant, I'm always amazed how the waitressing staff act like they are all happy about everything, like it is their greatest joy to bring me something.  That just is so not me!  I can barely wait on myself.  Sad, aren't I.  Then there is the little thing called counting.  I just don't like handling money.  Maybe because I grew up with so little of it, I never figured out how to count it without pinching every penny twice first.  


 
Sometimes I find counting God's blessings a little too difficult as well.  Yet, the psalmist says that God's thoughts toward us are too numerous to count.  I'm pretty sure they have invented some pretty big numbers bigger than a billion, a trillion and so on to infinity.  In other words, God thinks of us a lot, because we count, not numbers, but because we are of worth to Him.  We are not of worth because we are professional bull riders, or muscular John Henrys, or great waitresses or cashiers at Walmart or Tifany's.  He just can't help Himself thinking of us, so much so that He sent His only Son to redeem us.

 
So the question is not counting how great a number of God' thoughts are for us--it's too vast--but how many blessings we can count. It actually isn't even the number, but the attitude.  There are so many wonders He has made.  In contrast, the proud do not count on Him, but take credit for what He has done.  They "lapse" into falsehood, false thinking, false speaking. 


 
So here's the equations, word problems:
Blessed + Trust = too numerous to count.  
Proud + Falsehood =  negative numbers. 
Simple math.

 
It's like Psalm 139:17-18 says,
 
"How precious also are Thy thoughts to me, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
If I should count them,
they would outnumber the sand."

No comments:

Post a Comment