Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2016

PSALM 43
 
Here's a beautiful nugget...
 

  
"O send out Thy light and Thy truth,
let them lead me;
Let them bring me to Thy holy hill,
And to Thy dwelling places.
Then I will go to the altar of God
To God my exceeding joy;
And upon the lyre I shall praise Thee,
O God, my God."


 
 
Some say this was written by David when Jonathan told him that Saul intended to slay him, thus the beginning, "Judge me, O God, and plead my cause("a forensic term: be my counsel, and advocate) against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.  For thou art the God of my strength: why doest cast me off?  why go I mourning because of the oppression of my enemy." (verses 1-2)  Thus out of the darkness and distress the psalmist pleads, "send out the light..."

 
Certain things happen when we come to God.  We are confronted by light (think of Saul turned Paul after falling off and on his, well you know.)  Then we are confronted by truth.  We must have light to see the truth, the light of the Holy Spirit which will guide us into all truth.  They then lead to worship.  In worship we find exceeding joy.  This joy then needs expression, which to David means to take up his harp and to write a song: light, truth, worship, exceeding joy expressed in song. 

 
Exceeding joy.  Got some?  Here's a cute snippet from my four, almost five year old twin grandbabies.  Last week they were continually "marrying each other."  When their mother asked why, Addie said that it was because Ezra made her smile.  Ezra said it was because he wanted to save her!  Then Addie said, "But I don't want a baby!" 


Yes, love can make us smile and want to come to the rescue of a damsel in distress.  If we got some exceeding joy, let it shine in at least a smile if you don't take up a harp, at least let your light shine so that perhaps you might help to lead someone else, to rescue them from the darkness.  Joy?  Smile.  And come to the rescue.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment