Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

PSALM 51 continued...


 
"Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,
And my sin is ever before me.
Against Thee, Thee only, I have sinned,
And done what is evil in Thy sight."
(verses 2-4)


 
Look at the man David when Nathan the prophet is telling the little story to the king,
 
"'Rather he took the poor man's ewe lamb...'
Then David's anger burned greatly against the man,
and he said to Nathan,
'As the Lord live, surely the man
who has done this deserves to die.
And he must make restitution for the lamb
fourfold, because he did this thing
and had no compassion.'


 

Nathan then said to David,
'You are the man!'...
Thus says the Lord God of Israel,
'It is I who anointed you king over Israel...
 also gave you your master's house and your master's wives...
and if that had been too little,
I would have added to you many more things like these!
Why have you despised the word of the Lord by doing evil in His sight?
You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword,
have taken his wife to be your wife,
and have killed him with the sword of Ammon'...
Then David said to Nathan,
'I have sinned against the Lord.'"
II Samuel 12:4-13)


 
Accusation: "You are the man!"
 
Plea of Guilty: "Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned."
 
David was king.  There was no one in his kingdom who could call him into account for his sin,
God and God alone could condemn him.
"I cannot be called to the bar of my subjects:
but I arraign myself before Thy bar.
They can neither judge, nor condemn me;
but Thou canst: and such are the crimes,
that Thou wilt be justified in the eyes of all me,
and cleared of all severity,
shouldst Thou inflict upon me the heaviest punishment."


 
"Blog out my transgressions. wipe out.  There is a reference here to an indictment:
the Psalmist knows what it contains: he pleads guilty;
but begs that the writing may be defaced;
that a proper fluid may be applied to the parchment,
to discharge the ink,
that no record of it may ever appear against him;
and this only the mercy, lovingkindness, and tender compassions,
of the Lord can do."
(Adam Clarke)


 
The funny thing is, we have the record of David's sin here in Scripture,
the very one David wished God would blot out.
In fact, it is in the very songs of the Psalms of David.
Yet, in the gracious goodness of God
in His eternal judgment,
it has been blotted out.


 
"Wash me thoroughly"
Wash me again and again.
"My stain is deep;
ordinary purgation will not be sufficient."
"Cleanse me from my sin."
 
Isaiah 1:16, 18)
 
"Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
Cease to do evil...
Come now, and let us reason together,
Says the Lord,
'Though your sins are as scarlet,
They will be white as snow;
Though they are crimson,
They will be like wool." 
 
 

 
The actual cleansing from sin is what the sacrifice, the scarlet, the crimson shedding of Jesus' blood did for us on the cross, not just forgiveness, but the sanctification cleansing from the power of sin in our lives.  All of these verses point to Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and His power over sin and power over the grave.
 
Guilt
Confessed,
Forgiven,
Forgotten,
Pardoned,
Blotted out,
Cleansed.


 
What Peter said when Jesus offered to wash his feet,
"Never shall You wash my feet!"
Jesus answered him,
"If I do not wash your feet,
you have no part with Me."
Simon Peter said to Him,
"Lord, not my feet only,
but also my hands and my head."
(John 13:8-9)

Once, as I've said before, in order too help a shepherdess, we took care of a bummer lamb once,
one who was rejected.  We kept it in our bathtub as a bed, to keep it clean, reminding us...
Jesus was our little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow,
despised and rejected by men.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment