Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A Devotional

PSALM 54


 
A song for when the Ziphites came and were tattletale tattlers on David.
Ziphites were the inhabitants of Ziph.  They sounds like Dr. Seuss characters.
 
Ziph,
Ziph,
Ziphites ran,
to Saul to tattle
on David's band.
 
David was hunted like prey.  He was on one side of the mountain, and King Saul was on the other.  There was no way out.  It wasn't like David could whip out his harp and pacify Saul any more.  The king was after his blood.  "Saul, with his army, immediately went thither." It wasn't looking too good since the Ziphites of Judah (Judah, a type of Judas, the traitor) had given away his hiding place.  But God heard David's prayer.  

 
"Save me, O God, by Thy name,
And vindicate me by Thy power.
Hear my prayer, O God;
Give ear to the words of my mouth.
For strangers 
(unworthy to be called Israelites)
have risen against me,
And violent men have sought my life."
(verses 1-3)

 
 
Saul came thither, but his plan did whither.  So how does God answer his prayer?  He doesn't send the cavalry, he sends the enemy, the Philistines to attack Israel so that Saul has to turn back to save his country from being overrun.  In the words of Matthew Henry, "this psalm is sweet"!
"God was even with his own enemies, by making them instruments to save the life of His servant."
David, Saul, the Ziphites should all have been fellow countrymen, not bloodthirsty enemies.  Nevertheless, God is always true and on our side if we call out to Him.



Oh, the irony.  The Philistines were the enemy only a boy named David had defeated.  Now God used them to save David from Saul.  Hmm.

This is a Civil War Bible which stopped a bullet.
 

 
"Behold, God is my helper;
The Lord is the sustainer of my soul...
Willingly I will sacrifice to Thee;
I will give thanks to Thy name,
O Lord, for it is good.
For He has delivered me from all trouble."
(verses 4-7)


 
There was a time when we were poor, Pinto poor.  We had come down the mountain from our little town Weaverville to the big city of Redding in our old lowly brown Pinto bean of a car.  My husband got a little mixed up in traffic and was pulled over by a policeman. Now, I don't really mean that the cops are our enemies, but when facing an expensive ticket that could have sunk us financially, it wasn't a happy moment.  However, when he saw my husband's Bible on the dashboard, he had pity on us poor folk and just gave us a warning.  God helped us escape our doom!  


Has God ever been merciful to you, a sinner?  Sometimes it's trouble with a little "t" and sometimes it's trouble with a capital "T."  It's a good thing to say like David, "Behold, God is my helper, the Lord is the sustainer of my soul...for He has delivered me from all trouble." 


 
 
This is David.
David prays to God.
David trusts in God.
David sings songs to God praising Him.
Be like David.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment