Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2016

PSALM 52




 
As I go through the Psalms, I constantly remind myself that they truly are songs,
most written by David after his years of music practice while a shepherd.
 

 
This is a "somebody done somebody wrong song," very wrong.  That somebody was Saul.  David wrote this psalm after he was told the sad, sad story of the priest who blessed him, fed him, and returned what was rightfully his, the sword of Goliath, and paid a dear price for it.  David was running for his life.  Saul was after him.  David even had to hide his family in Moab.  

 

 
King Saul pouted and said, "'Hear now...For all of you have conspired against me so that there is no one who discloses to me when my son (Jonathan) makes a covenant with the son of Jesse, and there is none of you who is sorry for me or discloses to me that my son has stirred up my servant against me to lie in ambush, as it is this day.' Then Doeg the Edomite, (the dog), who was standing by the servants of Saul, answered and said, 'I saw the son of Jesse coming to Nob, to Ahimelech the son of Ahitub.'" (The whole story is in I Samuel 22.) 

 
Doeg was a snitch.  King Saul sent for the priest Ahimelech, and ordered him and those of his household to be put to death.  His men refused, all but Doeg.  Then after he killed 85 priests, they went to their city Nob, and struck down by the sword, men, women, children, infants and their animals.  Only one, a son of Ahimelech, escaped and went to hide with David.  Yep.  It is a sad song aright.

 
"Why do you boast in evil...
Why do you love evil more than good?"
(verse 1, 3)
 
"Thou wouldst rather please Saul by telling a lie
than please God by speaking truth."
 

 
A tornado of music
 
Here is David's warning in lyrics...

 
"But God will snatch you up, and tear you away from your tent (tornado style),
And uproot you from the land of the living.
And the righteous will se and fear,
And will laugh at him, saying,
'Behold the man who would not make God his refuge,
But trusted in the abundance of riches,
And was strong in his evil desire.'
But as for me, I am like a green olive tree
in the house of God;
I trust in the lovingkindness of God
 forever and ever.
I will give Thee thanks forever,
because Thou hast done it,
And I will wait on Thy name,
for it is good,
in the presence of Thy godly ones."
(verses 5-9)

 
I think of Danny Gokey who was a minister of music and went on American Idol soon after his young wife passed away.  I think of this as I listen to his newest song, "Tell Your Heart to Beat Again."  Perhaps this is the message David wanted to give to his followers who were described in
I Samuel 22:2 as "everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt,
and everyone who was discontented, gathered to him."

 
David ends his song on a sweet note.
Though Doeg was plucked up by the roots,
David was planted, rooted, and flourishing.
"He (Doeg), like a bad tree, bringing forth poisonous fruit,
shall be cursed, and pulled up from the roots:
I, like a healthy olive in a good soil,
shall, under the influence of God's mercy,
bring forth fruit to His glory...
so shall I flourish in the mercy of God
forever and ever...
I am planted in the house of the Lord;
and derive all my nourishment from Him."
(Adam Clarke)







 
"I will wait on Thy name," means,
"I will continue to use those means
by which Thou communicates
Thy grace to the soul."
(Adam Clarke)
 
That is our challenge, right,
to use those means God offers
for grace to our soul?" 

 
Yep, in a weary world, evil often seems to flourish, but we must continue to put our roots down deeper in the things of God.  In a silly way, I will illustrate what we often find on our plate living here below:  I love red sauce, ground beef enchiladas even as messy as they are to make; yet when I put the beautiful dish down on the table then my man went and grabbed the leftover macaroni salad and piled it next to his enchilada;  those two do not, let me repeat, DO NOT go together.  I almost lost my appetite and gagged when his fork dug through and had both on the tines at the same time.  Hmm.  So, I tried to eat as much of the casserole as I could so that he could not have more helpings to ruin.  (Just kidding, slightly)  Hmm.  We cannot mix shallow roots with the deep roots of God.  Some things just don't go together.  Got it? 

 

 
 Wait a minute.  How did I start talking about enchiladas?
I'm sure they're not in the Bible.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment