A blog by Celia Jolley, a daily devotion with scripture of the day applied to a woman's life, with quotes, poetry, and stories about savoring the beauty of life, family, and how to worship the Lord. Occasional original short stories sneak in now and then, just for fun fiction.
Is this a song God sings, such as when He and Abraham argued about destroying Sodom and Gomorrah? Or the song He sang before He tucked Noah and his family with their pets onto the ark before he played his version of "Wipeout"? Has mankind really changed? Is the song back on the top ten list again?
Or is this the song that the atheist sings? How would you like to live with the notion that there is no undergirding of the everlasting arms, no assurance of the love of God in this ol'wicked world?
We just watched the movie, "God's Not Dead 2." Faith was literally on trial. On our way home from our little trip, I noticed a hwy sign: "There is no God. FACT. Sponsored by the Church of the Atheists," Hmm. In the movie they put authors on the stand like Lee Strobel and J. Warner Wallace, the one who wrote "Cold-Case Christianity." He was an atheistic homicide detective who decided to use his techniques to disprove Jesus' actual existence. He is a best selling failure, in that he could not disprove Jesus, but instead proved by the facts he ascertained, that Jesus really lived and did what He said He did. Needless to say, the man is a Christian now.
Is this who this psalm is addressed to? Atheists? Pagans? The Babylonians had swept in to capture and destroy. Then it was their turn to be captured and destroyed.
"The fool has said in his heart,
'There is no god,'
They are corrupt,
and have committed abominable injustice;
There is no one who does good.
God has looked down from heaven
upon the sons of men,
To see if there is anyone who understands (or acts wisely),
Who seeks after God.
Everyone of them has turned aside;
together thy have become corrupt;
There is no one who does good,
not even one."
Matthew Henry has offered eight points on the purpose of Psalm 53.
1. The fact of sin...all the sinfulness of their hearts and lives is naked and open before Him.
2. The fault of sin. It is that which makes this world such an evil world as it is; it is going back from God.
3. The fountain of sin. How comes it that men are so bad? Surely it is because there is no fear of God before their eyes. Men's bad practices flow from their bad principles.
4. The folly of sin. He is a fool that harbours corrupt thoughts. Atheists, whether in opinion or practice, are the greatest fools in the world. Those that do not seek God do not understand; they are like brute-beasts, for man is distinguished from the brutes, not so much by the powers of reason as by a capacity for religion. (A side note here on a brute-beast: my dog is smart. My dog uses tools--one toy to bat another toy around--however, my dog worships me and my husband, not God. Do not be like my dog.)
"Have the workers of wickedness no knowledge,
Who eat up My people as though they ate bread,
And have not called upon God?
There they were in great fear
where no fear had been;
For God scattered the bones of him
who encamped against you;
You put them to shame,
because God has rejected them."
5. The filthiness of sin. Sinners are corrupt; their nature is vitiated and spoiled. (Okay, I had to look that up. Vitiated: "polluted, contaminated, debased, perverted." Sounds like a pretty good description of our world.)
6. The fruit of sin. See to what a degreeof barbarity it brings men at last; when men's hearts are hardened through the deceitfulness of sin see their cruelty to their brethren, that are bone of their bone--because they will not run with them to the same excess of riot, they eat them up as bread; as if they had not only become beasts, but beasts of prey.
Another aside here: war. War is hell. The crazy war we are up against hasn't really changed over the centuries, a religion that seeks to take over the world, the same one the Crusaders fought back against, yet now they are welcomed into Europe where in five to ten years they will become the majority due to they're taking multiple wives and having large families. All this is based on a prophet who instructed them to do it in their sacred writing. Because he had child brides, demeaned women, and other perversions, those who follow him most closely, must do likewise and kill, torture, and be beasts in their incipient warfare. They seek to instill Sharia Law wherever they go. Do they not eat up Christians as bread? By the millions? Genocide. Yet, they will be put to shame.
7. The fear and shame that attend sin. See the ground of this fear; it is because God has formerly scattered the bones of those that encamped against his people.
8. The faith of the saints...There will come a Saviour, a great salvation, a salvation from sin.
"Oh, that the salvation of Israel
would come out of Zion!
When God restores His captive people,
Let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad."
We have the privilege of living on this side of salvation history, from
a better place than the psalmist who wrote this dirge to be played with a flute,
or four-stringed instrument (a ukulele?).
Has the world changed?
Only for believers.
We can have victory over the battle against sin.
Even more, we are called to become fishers of men.
It's time to open another can of worms, to go fishing with, not to eat.