Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

PSALM 61
 
Have you ever wanted to be a rock climber or a tent dweller? 
I relate to what the psalmist is strumming on his stringed instrument...


 
"Hear my cry, O God;
Give heed to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I call to Thee,
when my heart is faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I
For Thou hast been a refuge for me,
A tower of strength against the enemy.
Let me dwell in Thy tent forever;
Let me take refuge in the shelter of Thy wings.
(Like a bird shelters its young or the cherubim whose wings cover the ark)"
(verses 1-4)

 
I am in my sixties, just like this psalm.  When I hit my sixties, everything changed.  I became an avoider of pain which turned me into an introvert, an isolationist, anti-social even.    A couple of years ago now, after a whirlwind of fun at Disneyland, I contracted shingles which left a long-lasting neuralgia that adds to my downfall of autoimmune yada yada. When my heart becomes faint, He is my tower of strength though I am feeble here below.  There is a price tag whenever I am social; whether it is pleasant or unpleasant interaction. Even church usually brings on my neuralgia.  It is amazing to me what I used to do now that I quietly and happily sit at home.   I'm quite the biblical woman these days, a quiet worker at home.


You see, I truly am an introvert who had been forced to be an extrovert for most of my life, more so than I realized.  So now I am happy to settle down in God's refuge, in His tower of strength, in His tent and become a princess of sort in that tower.  Instead of throwing my long hair out the window inviting climber-uppers, or spinning, I read and write.  It is a season which I find quite pleasant
 
.
 

It was time to give more space even to our family.  I love my grandchildren to death (18+), but our children need to live their own lives without us breathing down their necks.  They have chosen to pick and choose from the godly inheritance we have passed down: as God has given us free-will, so must we give them that free will and trust that our example can shine on their path.  As Matthew Henry says, "We need desire no better heritage than that of those who fear God."


 
 
"For Thou hast heard my vows, O God;
Thou hast given me the inheritance
of those who fear Thy name.
Thou wilt prolong the king's life;
His years will be as many generations (Christ's).
He will abide before God forever (as our Mediator);
Appoint lovingkindness and truth,
that they may preserve him.
So I will sing praise to Thy name forever,
That I may pay my vows day by day."
(verses 5-8) 
 
We have made vows before God which we keep, vows to Him, vows in marriage, vows to the Church which we are warned in Hebrews not to neglect, vows to be clean and sober in a world where the light that should shine is dimmed, as though the windows into His sanctuary have become so dirty, unwashed, that the world cannot see in to see His beauty of holiness, His splendor of holiness.  The bride of Christ has allowed her white dress to become stained as she dances so close to the world. Vows must be kept. 


 
The old Psalter says,
"Mercy and soothfastness of him, wha sall seke?"
 
David wrote this song while either driven out by Saul or Absalom, his father-in-law and king or his son.  He was banished from the tabernacle and longed for the day to return.  Those who dwell in God's tabernacle in the temporary here and now, will someday dwell in "that tabernacle which is the house of glory during an endless ever...His praising God was itself the performance of his vows." (Matthew Henry)  May it be true of us as well.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment