Pages

Friday, April 22, 2016

PSALM 69
 
Lions and tigers and Babylonians, Oh my!


 
"Save me, O God,
For the waters have threatened my life.
I have sunk in deep mire,
and there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters,
and a flood overflows me.
I am weary with my crying;
my throat is parched;
My eyes fail while I wait for God."
(verses 1-3)

 
Most think this Psalm was written later than the period of David's writing, rather during the Babylonia captivity.  "When he considered his enemies, he found reason to cry.  They were--Malicious, Many, and Mighty." (Adam Clarke) 



 
I know dear ones who have suffered so deeply that they feel they have been taken captive by life's events, swept away in their grief when waiting for God seems beyond them physically.  For the Hebrew captives, it was seventy years before they were able to come back to Zion rejoicing.  In the meanwhile...


 
"Reproach has broken my heart,
and I am so sick.
And I looked for sympathy,
but there was none,
And for comforters,
but I found none."
(verse 20)


 
But what we do know is how to pray...
 
"O God, it is Thou who dost know my folly,
And my wrongs are not hidden from Thee.
(verse 5)
"But as for me, my prayer is to Thee, O Lord, at an acceptable time;
O God, in the greatness of Thy lovingkindness,
Answer me with Thy saving truth...
(verse 13)
Answer me, O Lord,
for Thy lovingkindness is good;
According to the greatness of Thy compassion, turn to me,
And do not hide Thy face from Thy servant...
O draw near to my soul and redeem it.
(verse s16-18)
 

 
This lovingkindness is described by Adam Clarke as"'chesed' which signifies exuberance of kindness... the word which we translate tender mercies, signifies such affection as mothers bear to their young: and in God, there is a multitude of such tender mercies towards the children of men!"
 
To put it into perspective, these next verses in this Psalm speaks prophetically of Christ's suffering...
 
Verse 9, is quoted in John 2:17 concerning Christ, "Zeal for Thy house has consumed me,
And the reproaches of those who reproach Thee have fallen on me."

 
Verse 21 is quoted in Matthew 27:34, 48, and in Mark 15:23 and John 19:29
 speaking of the sufferings of Christ.
 
"They also gave me gall for my food,
And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink."


 
A hidden little ditty is found in verse 12,
"I am the song of the drunkards."
Hmm.

 

Have they written a country western bar song about you yet,
how bad your life is like the guy whose wife left him, took the kids, took the house, took the truck, and took the dog?  Just wait.  You may give them the right lyrics yet, but I hope not.


 
The best way to come back against that is to climb the charts with a better hit...
 
"I will praise the name of God with song,
And shall magnify Him with thanksgiving...
The humble have seen it and are glad;
You who seek God, let your heart revive.
For the Lord hears the needy,
And does not despise His who are prisoners.
Let heaven and earth praise Him,
The seas and everything that moves in them."
(verses 30, 32-34)

 
What kind of song could be written about you?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment