Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2016

PSALM 71
 
A Cradle to the Grave Song
 
 
"For Thou art my hope;
O Lord God, Thou art my confidence
from my youth."
 
"By Thee I have been sustained from my birth;
Thou art He who took me from my mother's womb;
My praise is continually of Thee.
(verse 6)
I have become a marvel to many;
For Thou art my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with Thy praise,
And with Thy glory all day long.
(verse 7-8)
Do not cast me off in the time of old age;
Do not forsake me when my strength fails.
(verse 9)
O God Thou hast taught me from my youth;
And I still declare Thy wondrous deeds.
And even when I am old and gray, O God,
do not forsake me,
Until I declare Thy strength
to this generation,
Thy power to all who are to come."
(verses 17-18)
 

 
Some say this was written by David in his old age.  Sometimes we just have to look back to look forward.  I don't mean looking back with longing like Lot's wife who turned into a salt shaker, but rather looking back in order to put life into perspective. 

 

 
Nowadays, I am constantly updating my bucket list: nope, I don't want to do that any more so scratch it off the list, to thinking that I'd better hurry up and get it done while I am still able.  Sometimes we fit in between the careless thinking we are invincible in youth to the inflexible stick in the mud of old age.  Few truly wish they could go back and do it all over again, except perhaps wishing they wouldn't make so many mistakes as they did the first time around.  I mean, I  don't feel the need to do the splits, or to become a surfer or to become a guitar or piano prodigy.  Life's too short to pine after "if only" regrets.  Actually that's the point, life's short, as in blink the eye and now you have wrinkles and grey hair and are shrinking almost as fast as the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz.  Maybe David was thinking about this, except he hadn't seen anybody throw water on the Wicked Witch of the West.
 

 
David's life was unique in history going from a shepherd lad who killed the lion and the bear, to killing a Giant, to becoming king.  He was, and still is, a "marvel," a "wonder" to many. (verse 7)This song was remembering his birth, the youngest of a lot of brothers who were surprised to be passed up in favor of this runt of the litter, to his hero-worthy exploits of his youth, to becoming the ol' king David with grey hair under the gold crown.  If nothing else, it should remind us that all lives matter, from the cradle to the grave.
 

 
Nevertheless, what David was thinking about was God's faithfulness from his birth down to his old age, never wanting to be without Him, "Be Thou to me a rock of habitation, to which I may continually come." (verse 3)  He also knew it was important to pass it down to the following generations. 

 
"My mouth shall tell of Thy righteousness,
And of Thy salvation all day long;
For I do not know the sum of them."
(verse 15)
 
What's on your bucket list?
I hope telling your kids and grandkids,
even others' kids and grandkids about our great God is on there.



 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment