Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2016

PSALM 81
 
"Sing aloud unto God our strength:
make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob."
(verse 1)


 
"God is our strength, let that strength be devoted to His service; therefore, sing aloud!"
(Adam Clarke)


 
I don't know about you, but around here, that usually means singing to the radio.  My man used to blow on his trumpet some just for the pleasure of it.  Now we need to get it in the trumpet shop so he can get his lips ready to blow again...


 
"Take a psalm, (raise a song) and bring hither the timbrel,
the pleasant (sweet sounding) harp with the psaltery.
Blow up the trumpet in the new moon,
in the time appointed,
on our solemn feast day."
(verses 2-3, KJV)

 
 
I guess back in the day, guys would go out onto the hills and wait to see the new moon.  When they spied it, they raced back to tell the priests.  Then the priests would decide their trustworthiness before blowing the trumpet like it was declared in Leviticus 23:24...


 
"Speak to the sons of Israel, saying,
'In the seventh month on the first of the month,
you shall have a rest,
a reminder by blowing of trumpets,
a holy convocation.
You shall not do any laborious work,
but you shall present an offering by fire to the Lord.'"
(verses 3)
 
Hey, blow them trumpets, boys!


 
I'm up for a rest!  I don't mind getting out of laborious work.  Let's see, that should be by our calendar July first, our anniversary!   Yep.  But in the Jewish calendar, it was September,the day reverenced as the days of creation. 


 
"When he went thoughout the land of Egypt,
I heard a language that I did not know."
(verse 5, NASV)
 
Now, I took a lot of French classes in high school, and even in college.  But does that mean I can speak it or even understand it?  Nope.  I recognize some words in writing and usually can tell if someone is speaking French, but I don't know what they are saying.  But let me tell you a story about when I spoke a foreign language of sorts recently.  My daughter walked me out the other day and asked, "Can I ask you a question, a mother-daughter kind of question?"  "Sure, go ahead."  Well, I guess I'm getting hard of hearing cause I thought she was talking about something that started with a "p" while she was talking about something that started with a "b."  Talk about confusing.  It was like her ship took off one direction while my plane took off in another.  She even said, "You told me once..."  and I said, "I don't ever remember saying that."  Hmm.  It got stranger and strangier.  The meanings of what was said was so crazy in my head that I finally asked, "Now what were you asking me?"  When I found out how mistaken I was, I hooted and hollered and could barely stand with laughter-tears pouring down my face.  Of course, that never fails to embarrass my daughter completely so she bid me farewell saying, "I'll never ask you a mother-daughter question ever again!"   Yep, I was speaking in hieroglyphics all right.
 
But this is pointing us back once again to when God came to the rescue in Egypt, and once again how they disobeyed Him...

 

 

"I relieved his shoulder of the burden,
His hands were freed from the basket.
You called in trouble, and I rescued you;
I answered you in the hiding place of thunder...
Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you;
O Israel, if you would listen to Me!
Let there be no strange god among you;
Nor shall you worship any foreign god.
I, the Lord, am your God,
Who brought you up from up from the land of Egypt;
Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.
But my people did not listen to My voice;
And Israel did not obey Me.
So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart,
To walk in their own devices."
(verses 6-12)
 
But in spite of it all, God desires to fill them with all the good things...


 
"But I would feed you with the finest of the wheat;
And with honey from the rock
I would satisfy you."
(verse 16)


 
White flour and honey from the rock.
It sounds like sweet rolls to me.
Unless you are stuck with a gluten free diet,
you can't even imagine how good that sounds.
Throw in a few pecans for good measure.
UmmUmm.


 
Ye old Psalter said...
 
"He fed thaim with the body of Criste and gastely understanding;
and of honey that ran of the stane (stone), that is, of the wisedome,
that is swete to the hert."



Do you need something "swete to the hert"?
I sure do.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment