Pages

Monday, May 30, 2016

PSALM 84 continued, oh and please excuse my digression along the way...

 
"O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;
Give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah.
Behold our shield, O God,
And look upon the face of Your anointed.
For a day in Your courts is better
than a thousand outside.
I would rather stand at the
threshold of the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
The Lord gives grace and glory;
No good thing does He withhold
from those who walk uprightly.
O Lord of hosts."
(verses 8-12)

 
It was a good day in the courts of the Lord yesterday at church.  How about you?  Of course I'd rather hang around there than go camping with the tents of wickedness, for goodness sakes!  With God as a sun and shield, what more could I need?  For I guess what we do in church is listen to God's Word and then tug on His ear for awhile, "Hear my prayer; Give ear, O God...Look upon the face of Your anointed."   It's a little face to face time with God. So, is this a little like going back to the Garden of Eden where man could walk and talk with God?"
 



 
God is a sun: "He dispels darkness; comforts, warms, gives life."
He is a shield: "The Defender and Protector of His followers."
 

 
The Lord gives grace and glory.  My great grandpa had two daughters, Miss Sally and Reuben.  Yep, he named his first after his wife, then he said he would name his second after himself.  Johnny Cash sings of a boy named Sue, and I have a grandmother Reuben.  They called her Ruby for short.  However, my great grandfather also said he liked to call his two girls "Grace and Glory."  That would be befitting of two of the most wonderful women who ever were born, Miss Sally and Ruby.  I think my Gram had a bit of glory 'round her, like the shekinah glory cloud


 
But to think that is God' intention towards us, that He gives us grace and glory!  Grace is "To pardon, purify, and save, the soul from sin:--and then He will give glory to the sanctified in His eternal kingdom; and even here He withholds no good thing from them that walk uprightly."  Adam Clarke also says, "He gives grace, to prepare for heaven." and Glory, to crown that grace."


 
Our preacher preached on the love of God yesterday and happened to mention the verse Genesis 1:29, 31, "Then God said, 'Behold, I have given you every plant...and behold, it was very good.'" In other words, God has given us everything we could need.  So maybe I can blame our pastor's words for my wild dream...


 
 
This morning as I struggled to wake up from this weird dream.  I realized I had dreamed that I had to make a diorama of Adam and Eve as an assigned project.  It started me thinking--in my dream--about where they lived, with a little more detail than of course than they lived in the Garden.  If you think about it, they wouldn't have wanted to sleep on the ground because it didn't rain in the Beginning, it only had a very heavy dew.  Anyway, I got to thinking that I sorta think of Adam and Eve as a kind of little Ellie May and Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies or like Tarzan and Jane, which got me thinking that, of course they would live in a tree house... Or it could have been a cave since we must have gotten the cave man notion from somewhere.  I doubt that Eve would have set up a loom and woven tent material in the Garden.  Animal skins hadn't been thought of yet as purposeful either...What, you don't have such ponderous dreams like this? 

 
Then I got a snicker from the verse that God would not withhold any good thing from those who walk uprightly.  I envision that picture we were all sold of the ape which gradually begins to morph slowly until it walks uprightly, and becomes man: too bad about the chimp, since it can't walk uprightly, it doesn't get all the good things God has for us.  Somehow we forget that God says He created Adam and Eve in the Beginning, that they did not evolve, and since they were created fresh from His hand, they were no slouches.  They were intelligent.  I even imagine they were more intelligent than we are.  That's hard to admit, isn't it?  After all, they had God's ear and He talked directly with them. 

 
Hmm.  So indoctrinated as we are, when we think back in history, the Supremacy of the Races rot, we become self-righteous and smug thinking we have arrived, we are so much more intelligent than cave men, which must refer to Adam and Eve.  We think we are at the pinnacle of God's creation, when actually it might be the opposite, that it has all been downhill since Creation, and we are swimming in the dark sludge of sin in this world barely able to keep our head above water. 
Yet, these promises are still true from Genesis till now, He will give us grace and glory, "No good thing will He withhold from them who walk uprightly."
 
You might ask, what did she eat before she fell asleep to cause such wonderings in her dreams?  Well, the angel Sharon Fox surprised me and brought over a batch of gluten free brownies yesterday.  So ask her what she put in them!


 
Anyway, I woke up before I finished making the diorama of Adam and Eve in my dream.  How would you have designed it?  Did they live in a tree house, a cave, or what?  Or did they sleep in a pile of tigers as Mark Twain described Eve as having done: "I found some tigers and nestled in among them and was most comfortable.  And their breath was sweet and pleasant, because they live on strawberries.  I had never seen a tiger before, but I knew them in a minute by the stripes."



Mark Twain had his own ideas of Adam and Eve when he wrote the tongue in cheek "The Diaries of Adam and Eve."

In fact, I jumped out of bed and startled my husband who asked what I was looking for.  I was searching for Mark Twain's book in my bookshelf.  Here's just a little of the diary entries...

Eve: "I think it is a man.  I had never seen a man, but it looked like one, and I feel sure that is what it is.  I realize that I feel more curiosity about it than about any of the other reptiles....I was afraid of it at first and started to run every time it turned around, for I thought it was going to chase me.  But by and by I found it was only trying to get away, so after that  I was not timid anymore but tracked it...At last it was a good deal worried and climbed at tree."




Adam: "This new creature with the long hair is a good deal in the way.  It is always hanging around and following me about.  I don't like this; I am not used to company.  I wish it would stay with the other animals...I wish it would not talk; it is always talking."

Eve: "When I found it could talk, I felt a new interest in it, for I love to talk.  I talk all day and in my sleep, too, and I am very interesting.  But if I had another to talk to, I could be twice as interesting and would never stop...All the week I tagged around after him and tried to get acquainted.  I had to do the talking because he was so shy, but I didn't mind."



Adam: "The new creature says its name is Eve.  That is all right, I have no objections.  Says it is to call it by when I want it to come.  I said it was superfluous then."



Eve: "This morning I told him my name, hoping it would interest him.  But he did not care for it....He talks very little.  Perhaps it is because he is not bright and is sensitive about it and wishes to conceal it."



Adam: "She told me she was made out of a rib taken from my body.  This is at least doubtful, if not more than that.  I have not missed any rib...Perhaps I ought to remember that she is very young, a mere girl, and make allowances.  She is all interest, eagerness, vivacity.  The world to her a charm, a wonder, a mystery, a joy.  She can't speak for delight when she finds a new flower; she must pet it and caress it and smell it and talk to it and pour out endearing names upon it...If she could quiet down and keep still a couple of minutes at a time, it would be a reposeful spectacle.  In that case, I think I could enjoy looking at her.  Indeed I am sure I could, for I am coming to realize that she is a quite remarkably comely creature--lithe, slender, trim, rounded, shapely, nimble, graceful.  And once, when she was standing marble-white and sun-drenched on a boulder, with her young head tilted back and her hand shading her eyes, watching the flight of a bird in the sky, I recognized that she was beautiful."

So put that in a diorama, but it would probably be "R" rated for nudity.




 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment