Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2016

PSALM 86

 

 
I must admit, I like flying.  Certainly, I don't like the cramming-jamming passengers in an uncomfortable crush with no wiggle room, not hardly able to recline for hours, but the rush of speed with the accompaniment of vibrating sound, the lifting up off the ground is exhilarating to me.  Then the whole time in the air, it amazes me that mankind has been able to conquer the miracle of flight.  It is almost a disbelief of belief to be flying through the sky at incredible speed like a silver needle weaving through the clouds.


(Didn't I tell you once about the grown man who kept screaming on one flight, terrified evidently of flying?  Poor man--but it was hilarious man-screams.)
 
When our plane home had engine trouble, we just sat there.  Buckled up.  Uncomfortably.  The expectation was that we would lift off, but were grounded.  First the pilot said on the intercom, "Sorry, but we need to take the air in the cabin to try to get the engine to ignite."  Hmm.  Finally, he came back on again and said, "Well, we think we were able to fix that problem (not a great assurance of certainty), but something else has come up and we are unable to fly."  We had a change of flight plans that took hours to accomplish for all on board, long lines, layovers, hotel vouchers, meal vouchers, bus vouchers to other airports, some missing graduations and other important events.  Yet, how much better than the alternative, to lift off only to have engine failure.  It was time to unbuckle and get off that plane!  You could moan and groan and demand to fly, but it would be to no avail.  Seek the plane that is sky-bound. 

 


 
The Psalmist's prayer is one that could be said daily, a lifting off of the soul on the breath of heaven with an ultimate confidence that there would be no failure by way of frail machinations against us holding us down.  There is within our heart as we pick up speed repeating David's pleas, a moment when we begin to soar, to rise above those earthly, earthy things.  Those who fail to rise above, are in the plane, but grounded.  Time to unbuckle, and seek a better way.

 
"Unto Thee, O Lord! do I lift up my soul."
In all the parts of prayer the soul must ascend upon the wings of faith and holy desire."
(Matthew Henry)
 
"Incline Thine ear, O Lord, and answer me;
For I am afflicted and needy. (grounded)
Do preserve my soul, for I am a godly man;
O Thou my God, save Thy servant who trust in Thee.
Be gracious to me, O Lord,
For to Thee I cry all day long.
Make glad the soul of Thy servant,
For to Thee, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
(prepare for take off...)
For Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive,
And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon Thee.
Give ear, O Lord to my prayer;
And give heed to the voice of my supplication."
(verses 1-6)
 
"It is comfortable if an affliction finds the wheels of prayer a-going.
(Matthew Henry)

 
(Get ready for take-off!)


 
First is the recognition that we are earth-bound unless God hears us.  "I am so low and so weak, that, unless Thou stoop to me, my voice cannot reach Thee..I receive the word from Thy mouth, and obey Thee.  I have no merit; --I plead none,--but trust in Thee alone...Rejoice the soul of Thy servant (make glad--lift us up so we may soar.)  I want spiritual blessings; I want such consolation as Thou dost impart to them that love Thee (up in the heavenlies).  I present that soul to Thee...I found my expectation of help on Thy own goodness, through which Thou art always ready to forgive.  And I found it also on Thy well-known character." (now we are flying!)
(Adam Clarke)

 
"Rejoice the soul of Thy servant."
(Lift us up!)
"It is God only that can put gladness into the heart and make the soul to rejoice, and, as it is the duty of those who are God's servants to serve Him with gladness, so it is their privilege to be filled with joy and peace in believing, and in faith to pray.  Prayer is the nurse of spiritual joy."
 
"To Thee do I lift up my soul"
"in desire and expectation; for Thou, Lord, art good."
"I am one whom Thou favourest, whom Thou hast set apart for thyself." 
(Matthew Henry)

 

 
You see, we are only along for the ride.  We are not the pilot. We are not the flying contraption.  We are merely passengers whom God desires to take to further regions of faith.
Ding: "You are now free to move about the cabin."
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment