Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2016

PSALM 91

 
 
Have I ever told you my diet plan?  Eat dessert first, then I don't have such a huge appetite for the main course.  Well, even if consuming these sweet words, it only makes me hungry for more.  I'm selecting from the buffet of this Psalm all out of order, but I hope you don't mind and join me...


 
"Because thou hast made the Lord which is my refuge,
even the Most High,  thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee,
neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
For He will give His angels charge concerning you,
To guard you in all your ways.
They will bear you up in their hands,
Lest you strike your foot against a stone."
(verses 9- 11)


 
This verse gives me hope that I haven't outgrown my guardian angel because I still feel like I need one hovering nearby, like when I tripped and fell and rolled down the steep path in Tennessee uninjured.

 
Jesus warned,
"See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
for I say to you, that their angels in heaven
continually behold the face of My Father who is in heaven."
(Matthew 18:10)

 
I could use an angel up in heaven of mine own sometimes, how about you?  This verse is important enough that the devil tried to use it to tempt, or more like mock, Jesus with it.  His answer was, "On the other hand, it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord Your God to the test.'"
Maybe the test was that Jesus was tempted to strangle that ol'snake who dared to mock him about what He was doing here on earth where He would offer His life up willingly for our sakes when He could have called legions of angels to come rescue Him. 


 
Adam Clarke looks on Psalm 91: 2-11 like this:  "'Because thou hast made the Lord' thou shalt be safe in thy soul, body, household, and property...Evil spirits may attempt to injure thee--but they shall not be able.  The angels of God shall have an especial charge to accompany, defend, and preserve thee; and against their power the influence of evil spirits cannot prevail.  These will, when necessary, turn thy steps out of the way of danger; ward it off when it comes in thy ordinary path; suggest to thy mind prudent counsels, profitable designs, and pious purpose; and thus minister to thee as a child of God, and an heir of salvation." 

 
 
'To keep thee in all thy ways.' "The path of duty is the way of safety.  Thou canst not reasonably expect protection if thou walk not in the way of obedience.  Thy ways are the paths of duty, which God's word and providence have marked out for thee.  The way of sin is not thy way, --thy duty, --thy interest.  Keep in thy own ways, not in those of sin, Satan, the world, and the flesh; and God will take care of thee."

 
'They shall bear thee up in their hands' "Take the same care of thee as a nurse does of a weak and tender child; lead thee,--teach thee to walk, --lift up out of the way of danger, lest thou shouldst dash thy foot against a stone,--receive any kind of injury, --or be prevented from pursing thy path with safety and comfort."

 
"Let us remember, that it is God, whose these angels are; He gives them charge, --from Him they receive their commission, --to Him they are responsible for their charge.  From God thou art to expect them; and for their help He alone is to receive the praise.  It is expressly said, 'He shall give His angels charge'; to shew that they are not to be prayed to, nor praised; but God alone, whose servants they are."

 
Then we try to reconcile this with the painful paths we have trod in this weary world even while walking with God.  Sometimes it hurts.  Bad things do happen to good people.  The worst is when bad things happen to innocents.  Just like what Job experienced, it has to pass by God before the devil is allowed to buffet us.  But we are promised that He will protect our souls.  That goes even deeper perhaps than our hearts, especially when heartbroken.  Still, have you known God to have intervened to protect you?


 
As I've told before in my blog, once I was protected when I was alone during the early days of marriage while my man was in seminary.  Laying across my bed reading my Bible with my puppy beside me, too young for protection yet,  my husband's cousin, a convicted rapist, entered our house uninvited.  He knew my man was out of town.  The sugary way he treated me always had made the hairs rise on my neck with a chill.  Smelling his cigarette, I got up and saw him leaving.  No one can convince me otherwise, but that it was a God-thing being protected. 
 

 
One thing we can be sure of is that the days of our lives are already numbered and entered into His book of life.  The ultimate goal is that our souls are protected and in His keeping even though we have an enemy of our soul who is sometimes allowed to attack in his attempt to steal, kill, and destroy.  Nevertheless, I do appreciate the whisper of angel wings from time to time.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment