Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2016

PSALM 92


"It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
And to sing praises to Thy name, O Most High;
To declare Thy lovingkindness in the morning,
And Thy faithfulness by night,
With the ten-stringed lute,
and with the harp;
With resounding music upon the lyre.
For Thou, O Lord, hast made me glad
by what Thou, O Lord, hast made me glad
by what Thou hast done..."
(verses 1-4)
 
 
 
Good.  Thanks. Sing. Praises: name, O Most High.
 
Don't we need something good about now?  So why are we silent when we can give thanks, sing praises?  And to what name?  To the Most High.  There is none higher.


 
Matthew Henry says, "It is probable that it was penned by David.  Praise, the business of the Sabbath, is here recommended.  God's works which gave occasion for the Sabbath. (God rested on the seventh day after seeing it was good that which He created.)...This psalm was appointed to be sung, at least it usually was sung, in the house of the sanctuary on the Sabbath day.  The Sabbath day must be a day, not only of holy rest, but of holy work.  The proper work of the Sabbath is praising God; every Sabbath day must be a thanksgiving day...Praising God is good work: it is good in itself and good for us....We must do it by showing forth His lovingkindness and His faithfulness.  We must show forth, not only His greatness and majesty, His holiness and justice, which magnify Him and strike an awe upon us, but His lovingkindness and His faithfulness; for His goodness is His glory..."

 
"Then Moses said, 'I pray Thee, show me Thy glory!' 
And He said, 'I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you...'"
(Exodus 33:18-19)
 
"When we must praise God--in the morning and every night, not only on Sabbath days, but every day; not only in public assemblies, but in secret, and in our families.  We must begin and end every day with praising God."

 
Whether we recognize it or not, we seek, we crave, we hope to find good.  As I've stated several times, a turning point in my life was when I settled the question deep in my heart once and for all that indeed, God was good.  I could not completely put my trust in Him until I could accept that as an absolute truth.  What worth is this life if there is not good?  I love how the commentator links this to God's creation when He said it was good, and of man, it was very good, then He rested.  We too can rest our souls in that fact, that what God touches, creates is all good.  Any accusation against that should be directed to the snake, the enemy of our soul, and not listen to his insinuations of doubt about the goodness of God. 

 
and God said, "...very good."

 
Then I love his reference back to Moses asking to see God's glory.  What God showed Him was his goodness.  God's glory is His goodness!  What a concept!!  I can't get past this, so ponder it a while as I wait to go on to the rest of this psalm later: GOD'S GLORY IS HIS GOODNESS..
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment