Pages

Friday, July 8, 2016

PSALM 102


 
We cry with them...

We were just at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport and our hearts are broken. 
May I suggest you read through this Psalm as a prayer for those who senselessly were gunned down Thursday in Dallas, Blue lives who mattered.  Then Friday there was another random shooter, spurred by the earlier event, at Bristol, Tennessee, of all places.  We drove through that small town on our trip.  It would be one of the last places you would expect such an event, rather a place to stop and find friendly folks and enjoy good food.  Sorrow for these events make our hearts heavy.  The conclusion of this psalm speaks of the continuing generations.  May God protect and revive His people and our children and our children's children.


 
"Hear my prayer, O Lord!  And let my cry for help come to Thee.
Do not hide Thy face from me in the day of my distress;
Incline Thine ear to me;
In the day when I call answer me quickly.
For my days have been consumed in smoke,
And my bones have been scorched like a hearth.
My heart smitten like grass and has withered away.
Indeed, I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the loudness of my groaning
My bones cling to my flesh...
My days are like a lengthened shadow;
And I wither away like grass.


 But Thou, O Lord, dost abide forever;
And Thy name to all generations.
Thou wilt arise and have compassion on Zion;
For it is time to be gracious to her,
For the appointed time has come...
He has appeared in His glory.
He has regarded the prayer of the destitute,
And has not despised their prayer.
This wilt be written for the generation to come;
That a people yet to be created may praise the Lord.
For He looked down from His holy height;
From heaven the Lord gazed upon the earth,
To bear the groaning of the prisoner;
To set free those who were doomed to death...

 
Thy years are throughout all generations.
Of old Thou doest found the earth;
And the heavens are the work of Thy hands.
Even they will perish, but Thou does endure...
But Thou art the same,
And Thy years will not come to an end.
The children of Thy servants will continue,
And their descendants will be established before Thee."


 
In a nutshell, we are like grass.
God hears our prayers.
He is compassionate and gracious
and does not despise or ignore our groaning.
Even though we may perish,
He will endure as His years will not come to an end.
He will not abandon the children of our descendants.


It was as a cowboy in the Dallas area where my great grandfather  was converted in a brush arbor camp meeting.  The first thing he did was to throw his pistol away into the sagebrush.  I am supportive of our gun rights, but perhaps he knew himself and knew he had no business with a weapon. I've always wondered what temptation the gun represented to him. I doubt he was sorrowful over shooting a rattler or two.  Hmm.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment