Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2016

PSALM 104
 
"Bless the Lord, O my soul!"
 
Here we go again.  It almost sounds like something a Southern mama would say with her hand over her heart.  But here it is David once again writing a beautiful song.  If this were a hymn in my church, I'd want to sing all the verses and not leave anything out.

 
"O Lord my God, Thou art very great
(Think the favorite hymn of so many, "How Great Thou Art.")
Thou art clothed with splendor and majesty,
Covering Thyself with light as with a cloak..."
(verses 1-2)
 
Adam Clarke calls it "Light, insufferable splendor...
the light conspicuous in the Holiest...to express the ineffable (indescribable) glory of God.


 
Imagine being close to God passing by with light as a cloak.

 
"The robe of the Divine Majesty.  Light and fire are generally the accompaniments of the Supreme Being, when He manifests His presence to His creatures.  He appeared thus to Abraham when He made a covenant with him, (Genesis 15:17 "a flaming torch"); and to Moses when He appointed him to bring the people out of Egypt, (Exodus 3:2 "a blazing fire from the midst of a bush"); and when He gave them His law on Sinai, (Exodus 19:18 "the Lord descended upon it in fire");
 Moses calls God a consuming fire (Deuteronomy 4:24); When Christ was transfigured on the Mount, His face shone like the sun, and His garment was white as the light (Matthew 17:2);  And when the Lord manifests Himself to the prophets, He is always surrounded with fire and the most brilliant light."
 
Imagine the brightness from a tiny firefly-lightning bug
multiplied by a zillion and you might have a hint of our great God's wardrobe.
 

 
Then the commentator begins to parallel the hymn with the days of Creation:
 
"His robe is the light, the work of the first day, which is the purest, the most illustrious, and cheerful of all God's creatures: with this He is clothes as with a garment, for He is light

 
 

 
"And this is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you,
that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all."
I John 1:5

 
 
"He who is the blessed and only Sovereign,
the King of kings and Lord of lords;
who alone possesses immortality and
dwells in unapproachable light..."
(I Timothy 6:15-16)
 
 
 
The train of his robe
  
I have clung to I John 1:5ff before. "God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all." Then it continues, "If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from ALL sin." (my caps) 
 
 
I need light.  I am one of those people.  I feel claustrophobic if I am in a dark room and become nervous wanting to leave, as if I need to claw myself out--well, not quite that bad, but  you know.  Likewise, I like a sanctuary bathed in light, not dim with curtains covering the windows.  I almost freaked out once when a board member's wife in another church decided all the windows of the sanctuary should be covered to enhance the feeling of reverence (She worked in a Catholic school and liked their sanctuary.) It's not that I'm afraid of the dark.  I appreciate the time of rest and the beauty of the night.  It's just that when the light is out there, I need it to surround me, to let it in and not pull down the shades.  It's why I love, love, love my home because of all the windows.
 
So too, I need the Light.  I need it to surround me, to let it in, and not let any darkness creep inside.  I never thought of it in this "new light," that when God created light, He was actually sharing something of Himself, His very being.  We need to desire His light, and walk in it.  It cleanses from ALL sin, gets all the darkness out into the light and zaps it with fire! Well, bless my soul!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment