Pages

Friday, July 1, 2016

PSALM 97
 
 
 
"The Lord reigns; let the earth rejoice;
Let the many islands be glad.
(verse 1)
 
Yankee Basin, Ouray,
Just a jeep trail away.
I've been blessed to see the mountains in the Grand Tetons, Glacier Park, Canadian Banff and  Lake Louise, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Tahoe, the Rockies and the Smokey Mountains, but my favorite are the San Juan Mountains in Colorado.  They make my heart ache in beauty.
 

 
Oh my goodness, this has such beautiful imagery in it.  The next reminds me of descriptions my brother and cousin gave of climbing on to the peak of one of the fourteen fourteeners in their area, 14 mountains that are 14,000 feet in elevation.  It is unsurpassed in beauty and majesty, that is until a lightning storm hits. It is not where you want to be.  And the reason it is so green there is because these storms happen a lot.  Do you get the picture?  Can you imagine being surrounded by thunder and lightning with a big "X" target on your chest with no protection with all the visual and sound effects close up and real?


 
"Clouds and thick darkness surround Him;
Righteousness and justice are the foundations of His throne.
Fire goes before Him,
And burns up His adversaries round about.
His lightnings lit up the world;

 

The earth saw and trembled.
The mountains melted like wax at the presence of the Lord.
At the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare His righteousness,
And all the peoples have seen His glory."
(verses 2-6)

 
An old Indian saying is that it is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hands.  Hmm.  I'm glad that's not Scripture so while it is good advice, it not infallible.  Then while having my birthday lunch yesterday, celebrating getting old or is it getting older-- I forget--anyway my daughter asked me if that was my jaw popping as I chewed or were horses galloping outside the restaurant windows?  I hadn't even noticed.  However, when God speaks, we do notice.  He has ways of grabbing our attention.  He is of old.  From His mouth thunder roars and from His hands He flings lightning. 
 
 
Silverton
I've been on this road before and miss going
on the four-wheel drive over the mountain even
when it is spitting snow in July.
 

Sometimes we need to do a little more trembling in His presence.  When was the last time you noticed His presence?  Have you been on the mountain top lately?  Have you been thunderstruck by the glory of God?  I hate asking you this because I have to ask it of myself as well.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment