Pages

Monday, August 1, 2016

PSALM 106 continued...

"Remember me, O Lord, in Thy favor toward Thy people;
Visit me with Thy salvation,
That I may see the prosperity of Thy chosen ones,
That I may rejoice in the gladness of Thy nation,
That I may glory with Thine inheritance."
(verses 4-5)




Remember me, the psalmist says to God, as if God could forget anything or anybody.  Rather it is like the thief on the cross said, "Jesus,  remember me when You come into Your kingdom!"
(Luke 23:42)
That thief was heard, was answered and was comforted even though our Savior was in the midst of the most horrible suffering alongside of theirs, only He was bearing their sin as well as ours.

The King James version says,
"Remember me, O Lord, with the favour that thou bearest unto thy people:
O visit me with thy salvation."
(verse 4)


In the earlier verses, the Anglo-Saxon version of the clause "O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good," is "Confess Lord for that God; for that on world mildheartedness his."

A translation of this from the old Psalter  is, 
"Confess your sins and give praise to God,
for He is good in His nature to all that ask His mercy;
for it lasts to the world's end in comforting and delivering the wretched:
and the blessedness that is given through mercy is everlasting."



Can you transpose this with the desperate hope that caused the thief to call out to Jesus on the cross?  "Remember me!"  He placed his trust in mercy being extended to him, because God is good, a mercy that lasts to this world's end into the next, a mercy everlasting.  This world ends for each of us when our heart stops beating here, but with the promise of the blessedness of the next,
"for it lasts to the worlds ende in wriches whame it comfortes and delyvers: and the blysfulheded that is gyfen thrugh mercy is endless."


"That I may enjoy the good."
(verse 5)
"As there are a people in the world who are in a peculiar manner God's people,
so there is a peculiar favour which God bears to that people,
which all gracious souls desire an interest in..."That I may see the good of thy chosen and be as happy as the saints are; and happier I do not desire to be."
(Matthew Henry)


Back to that self-confessed thief who knew he deserved judgment, ("And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds," Luke 23:41)  he desired to see the peculiar favor of God, if not a "get me out of this" prayer, but a "remember me in Your kingdom," prayer for the next world.  This left little time for the poor guy to earn his salvation; fortunately, it wasn't necessary for Jesus said, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise." (Luke 23:43)
Bam!
That's what I call mercy!


So, unlike those uncomfortable conversations where someone says to you, "I don't know if you remember me..." and you don't, God has something better in mind...
"Can a woman forget her nursing child
And have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.
Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands."
(Isaiah 49:15-16) 




These are the palms that were pierced for our iniquities, the palms that were torn and bleeding nailed to the cross right alongside that thief who cried, "Remember me..."


"That I may glory with Thine inheritance."
(verse 5)

Our true inheritance is not read by a lawyer in a will, but in the eternal will of God,
our salvation.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment