Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2016

PSALM 107

This is sometimes thought to be titled, "Hallelujah."


"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
For His lovingkindness (mercy) is everlasting.
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so,
Whom He has redeemed from the hand of the adversary..."
(verses 1-2)


These are singing psalms to be sung in the sanctuary.
We are invited to sing along, to give thanks to the Lord,
for who He is, His very essence,
for He is good.

Do you realize what a privilege we have, one we take for granted.  Those who worship idols are under the burden of fear, of having to placate their gods with offerings or they would be struck down with calamity and refused eternal blessing.  Au contraire!  Our God is good.  Our offerings are praise and gratitude for this goodness.


The redeemed, those whose chains have been broken, are no longer to be quiet. 
One of my favorite hymns has been lifted and brought into new arrangements, but here are quotes from the original by Charles Wesley, 1738, Verses 2 & 3


And Can It Be?





Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou my God,
shouldst die for me?

"He left His Father's throne above,
So free, so infinite His grace!
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race.
'Tis mercy all immense and free,
For, O my God, it found out me!

'Tis mercy all,
immense and free,
For O my God, it found out me!

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in in and nature's night.
Thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray
I woke; the dungeon filled with light!
My chains fell off; my heart was free.
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

My chains fell off;
My heart was free,
I rose and followed Thee.

"He is good.  This is His nature.
His mercy endures forever.
This is the stream that flows from the fountain of His goodness."
(Adam Clarke)


The Wesleys fought to end slavery in England and their fight found victory years before the American's fought that bloodly Civil War to end slavery..


As I've posted recently, I found a record that one of my man's relatives rode with that horrible, notorious Confederate bushwacker Quantrill when he burned Lawrence and killed 180 men and boys.  Another, who is thought to have been in the close family tree, a politician who led Union raids so bloodly he was chastised, hid in the cornfields and survived: family against family. Lincoln was the father of the Republicans who constantly stood for freedom of the bonds of slavery and for the rights of those redeemed.


Abolitionist Senator James Lane of Lawrence, Kansas

The bonds of slavery required blood to be sacrificed for the slaves freedom.  Sadly, slavery is still practiced in many forms in our world today, mostly by Muslims as it has been in existence for over a thousand years.  In our country it is found in the form of sex trafficking, a terrible evil. 



Our Savior bled and died to purchase our freedom. 
So why do so many still sit in darkness and chains?

No comments:

Post a Comment