Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

PSALM 108

"God hath"spoken in His holiness;
I will rejoice..."
(verse 7)







"Oh give us help against the adversary,
For deliverance by man is in vain.
Through God we shall do valiantly;
And it is He who will tread down our adversaries."
(verses 12-13)

Have you ever thought about what if all we had to deliver us was man?  Just one glimpse at the current political fiasco, one glance at the world's turmoil, and we see we would be in really, really deep doodoo.

I don't know about you, but I wake up at night and pray for our nation.  Sometime I feel like we are backed up against the Red Sea and the chariots of those who want to once again enslave us, threatening our freedoms, are closing in, their horses' hooves pounding, the cloud of dust swirling. 



I am just finishing reading another book about George and Martha Washington, ("Washington's Lady: A Novel of Martha Washington and the Birth of a Nation" by Nancy Moser).  Their sacrifices and those of those colonial patriots is more than amazing.  With no finances, with more soldiers sick and dying than standing, with no shoes or blankets or even food to survive in the snow available, with General George Washington looking on in despair as the countries' confidence was slipping, our nation's deliverance was more than by the ones who held the muskets.  It was a divine deliverance when all odds were against this fledging nation fighting the greatest kingdom on the face of the earth. There is no comparison with our current situation that abounds in corruption vs corruption.  (Once, years ago, my man came home from work and found me heartily crying saying, "What happened?  What's wrong?"  All I could say was, "George died."  I had been reading a biography of the great man and grieved for him with tears born posthumously.)*



God's view of His people and the heathen nations surrounding them was...

"I will exult, I will portion out...measure out...
(this one)is Mine, (that one) is Mine; 
...is the helmet (protection) of My head;
...is the scepter.
...is My washbowl;
Over...I shall throw My shoe;
Over...I will shout aloud."


It was almost a shrug and a laugh by God at what seemed insurmountable odds against His children surrounded by hostile nations.  It brings to mind Hebrews 2:8, "Thou hast put all things in subjection under His feet." This itself is a quote from Psalm 8:6. 


 
God is the holy other.  He is apart and above all understanding in His purity, in His perfection.  Thus, I will rejoice!  He is not bound by what binds us.  Thus, we may call out for His divine intervention and help.  "For deliverance by man is vain.  Through God we shall do valiantly."  Let that be our prayer together in these troubled times.


"We must be public-spirited in prayer...an active faith can rejoice in what God has said, though it be not yet done...We must not be discouraged in prayer, nor beaten off from our hold of God, though Providence has in some instances frowned upon us.    We must seek help from God, renouncing all confidence in the creature...We must do our part, but we can do nothing of ourselves; it is only through God that we shall do valiantly." (Matthew Henry)



"Valiant: having or showing valor: brave, heroic, courageous, bold, audacious, dauntless."

Through God we shall do all of the above and more.




(*George Washington's great grandfather Augustine Warner is my 11th great grandfather.
His estate is still standing, now a hotel in Virginia)


No comments:

Post a Comment