Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

PSALM 108

"My heart is steadfast, O God;
I will sing, I will sing praises,
even with my soul."


The art of praise.

This brought me back to Matthew 22:34-38, 

"But when the Pharisees heard that He had put the Sadducees to silence, they gathered themselves together.  And one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, 
'Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?'
And He said to him,
'You shall love the Lord Your God with all your heart,
and with all your soul,
and with all your mind. 
This is the great and foremost commandment.'"

The KJV puts it in a fascinating way,
"O God my heart is fixed; I will sing praise, even with my glory."

What is this "soul," this "glory"?


The talented Miss Adeline. 
Does she get this cleverness for crayon tricks from her dad or mom?
from her grandpa or grandma?

Our pastor recently reminded us that sometimes we tend to think we are made up of what we got from both our mother and our father, our DNA.  My five year old granddaughter recently asked, "What does DNA spell?"  How would you answer?  Tell her I don't know and send her off to kindergarten and perhaps by the time she gets to college she'll find out the answer. 



Yes, we are made up of more than DNA.  Man and all the daughters of Eve are also God-breathed into life by the Holy Spirit.  We have a soul, that eternal core of us which is that with whom God has to do, so that we can look like our heavenly Father, our glory.  This is what is within us that should cry out with praise to God.

"My greatest glory shall be in publishing Thy praise...the soul of the Psalmist...his tongue."
(Adam Clarke)



Shout it from the rooftops!

"We may here learn how to praise God from the example of one, who was master of the art, David.
1.  We must praise God with fixedness of heart.  Wandering straggling thoughts must be gathered in, and kept close to business. 
2.  We must praise God with freeness of expression: I will praise Him with my soul that is,
with my tongue.  Our tongue is our glory."
(Matthew Henry)

Oh, my, our tongue is our glory?  We are in trouble now!  But that is exactly why we are instructed as Christ Himself reminds us is the greatest commandment, that we are to love the Lord with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, everything that is in us, every thing that hath breath to praise the Lord.  And we are also reminded in, Matthew 12:34, "For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart."

Let His praise bubble up within us.
















What a way to wake up this morning as I do my devotions a little late from oversleeping.  Sometimes this is with our voice, sometimes with instruments if you have been so blessed to learn to play, and perhaps sometimes with "publishing" as Adam Clarke does himself.  Nevertheless, fix your heart to use your glory to praise Him with all your soul.







No comments:

Post a Comment