Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2016


PSALM 112 continued...


The photos in today's blog are from
Animus Forks, Colorado.

"His descendants will be mighty on earth;
The generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches are in his house,
And his righteousness endures forever.
Light arises in the darkness for the upright;
He is gracious and compassionate and righteous."
(verses 2-4)


Yes, the sky is that blue.

Some things can't make it and are cast away,
this four-wheel drive trail is not for the faint.

All this for the "blessed is the man who fears the Lord," of verse 1.  I don't know about you, but I'm concerned for my descendants.  Yeah, it's not all about me.  It's about the next generation of my family and even my special friends' families.  Time marches on and that drumbeat causes one to lift their head and assess what is going on around them.  As we march, things get heavy.  We are ready to lift some things from our load.  It's the privilege of getting older.  Some things need to be cast aside, but some things we want to pass on to the younger generation to carry as we trudge along, only the most important things, thing like grace, compassion and righteousness.  That's where the wealth is. 



Untold riches have passed through this old mine.




I've been over the 13,000 feet pass in Colorado where you drop down at 11,000 feet to where some of the richest mining operations in our history have been dug out of the mountains.  Animas Forks is a ghost town now which one of the richest men in his day built.  Those kind of riches are just hulls of the righteousness that endures forever.  I want my next generation to be blessed with the true wealth that I have enjoyed.  


If I am not an upright person, then it is almost a sure thing that I wouldn't be a blessing or get to pass on a blessing.  Those are our marching orders.  We do see how the breakdown of the family has brought much of the trouble in our country, unable to pass on the blessings.  It's dropping the baton from one generation to the next.  I know it was a fervent prayer from my great grandpa to my grandma to my mother for the next generation.  I want to be that one who is upright, to pass the blessings on, to be gracious and compassionate and righteous.


"Light arises in the darkness for the upright."

This is a beautiful gem to dwell upon.  In the Smithsonian Museum, there is a gem room.  The samples are lit up and put on display.  The richest ones are set apart for special viewing.  This is like one of those.  For me, the light that arises in the darkness is the Word of God. 


"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...
In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 
The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
John 1:1, 4-5 


"God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all."
I John 1:5


The town is now a historic trust and is being preserved.


I especially like the phrase "Light arises."  It is always dawning.  New light can be had every day, every time I open my Bible.  I woke this morning thinking, what would I answer if someone asks me what are the most special passages to me in the Bible.  John 1 and I John are a couple of those which came to mind when the light arose this morning before I studied this Psalm.  Voila!  There it is.  I think the key to all this is to be upright.  If God desires it for us, then He helps to make that possible in our lives.  Then we can pass on the blessings.  Arise out of darkness with the light.



No comments:

Post a Comment