Pages

Friday, August 26, 2016

PSALM 113 continued...



"He raiseth up the poor out of the dust,
and lifteth the needy out of the dunghill;
That he may set him with princes,
even with the princes of his people."
(King James Version)





The last post I spoke of Cinderella being lifted out of the cinders comparison.
On the flip side, the male version, Matthew Henry says,
"Gideon is fetched from threshing,
Saul from seeking the asses,
and David from keeping the sheep;
the apostles are sent from fishing to be fishers of men. 
The treasure of the gospel is put into earthen vessels...
When Joseph's virtue was tried and manifested
he was raised from the prison-dust and set with princes."



"He makes the barren woman abide in the house
As a joyful mother of children.
Praise the Lord!"
(verse 9)

Oh my, I snickered at the King James Version,

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house..."



When I grew up,
this is how a real woman looked!
Her crown was her curlers.

Now I know there's a lot of women out there who would love to be keeping house, if the floods hadn't risen, the earthquakes hadn't shaken, the tornadoes hadn't swept in, or the ruthless hadn't caused them to barely escape with their lives.  My dust bunnies may be reproducing rapidly and my cobwebs swooping, but that doesn't mean I'm not keeping house or that I'm not grateful for my home.  I love, love, love my house, my home.  But I think it means more than spic and span, but of the making of a home, a home that God blesses, one for making barren women to keep house for.


I've prayed for a barren woman or two in my time, have you?  The Lord blessed those prayers.  Now there is help through infertility medical treatments and even adoption.  But there is also wiggle room for downright God-miracles to happen so that those who are keeping house have to step over toys, skateboards, and piles of dirty clothes and are called blessed by doing so.  Since we waited until six years of marriage and to finish schooling before we tried for a family, we were the only ones we knew who did not get pregnant by accident. That caused a little niggling of worry that something was wrong, but have no fear.  Forty-three years and six kids and nineteen grand and great-grandkids later, I think God said, "Let there be, and there was...And it was good."


And that's not all folks.  That's only half of 'em!

Matthew Henry reminds us that "This may look back to Sarah and Rebecca, Rachel, Hannah, and Samson's mother, or forward to Elizabeth; and many such instances there have been, in which God has looked on the affliction of his handmaids and taken away their reproach."


That's still not all of them...

The real comfort of this verse is that God looks down into the heart of the home, into the heart of the woman and knows what her true desire is.  God has always worked through families.  That's why marriage is meant to be for one man and one woman.  It's the physiology of the plan from Adam and Eve on.  So keep on keeping that house and chase those dust bunnies and sweep down those cobwebs and step over those toys and attack those piles of laundry.  God is in His heaven and smiling down on you.


No comments:

Post a Comment