Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2016

PSALM 116 continued...


"For thou hast delivered my soul from death,
mine eyes from tears,
and my feet from falling.
I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living."
(verses 8-9)

I'd like to think that I'm not in a state of decline, but recline as I sit here...

I can barely walk and chew gum. Yep, I'm one of those non-cheerleading types, a little lacking in the coordination skills.  I'm one of those if my bike bucked me off, nah, I don't think I'll get back on and ride kind of person.  I could barely walk away from my bike wrecks.  These verses are talking about how we need God's help to survive.  The old Psalter says...



"For he toke my saule fra dede;
my eghen (eyes) fra teres;
my fete fra slippyng.

"I am determined to walk;
my eyes are now brightened, so that I can see;
my feet are strengthened, so that I can walk;
and my soul is alive, so that I walk with the living."
(Adam Clarke)


I especially like the part of this psalm that says He will deliver my soul.  That's the part of this life we can still get out with by God's grace, our soul.  The shell may perish, but the nut will survive!  That's me, the goober.  David needed this because he wasn't just having one of those days, but at times it seemed like he was having one of those lives.  For instance, even after Samuel anointed him to trade his crook for a scepter, he was on the run from King Saul for years.  It was hard to hold on to the promises. 

  "I believed, therefore I have spoken:
I was greatly afflicted:
I said in my haste,
'All men are liars."
(verses 10-11)

David could say, "Distressed and afflicted as I was, I ever believed Thy promises to be true: but I had great struggles to maintain my confidence; for my afflictions were great, oppressive, and of long standing." (Adam Clarke)



"I said in my haste,"

"When passion got the better of my reason, when I looked not at God, but at my afflictions, and the impossibility of human relief...said, 'All men are liars.'"  (Adam Clarke) Hmm.  Sound familiar?  Have you listened to the political scene lately?  Liar, liar, pantsuits on fire!  Yes, we can totally agree with David that  the tongue proves the falseness of the heart unless converted by God.  David found his own son Absalom to be false.  David felt surrounded by liars.  I have to put down the remote and walk away from the news myself because it is overwhelming, the falseness, the lies.

So who can we believe?
God.



"What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me?
I will take the cup of salvation,
and call upon the name of the Lord."
We are upheld!

I love what Adam Clarke has to say about these verses...

"I will invoke His name, that I may get more of the same blessings; for the only return that God requires is, that we ask for more! Who is like God?Reader, pray to Him, invoke His name;
receive the cup--accept the abundance of salvation which He has provided thee, that thou may love and serve Him with a perfect heart."

"More, sir?"
we may ask in an Oliver shaking voice,
And the orphan is given an abundance,
an over-flowing cup.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment