Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2016

PSALM 118

Dog Tales


Ella and Phineas

Maggie

I think I slept on her wiffle ball last night
that she so kindly dropped in my bed
like I was some kind of princess and it was the pea!
How kind of her to share...


 Nevertheless, when I arise I shall


  "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
For His lovingkindness is everlasting...
Oh let those who fear the Lord say,
His lovingkindness is everlasting."
(verses 1, 4)


We have a neighbor who must work a different shift than our sleep requirements.  So, in the middle of most nights we are treated to a loud proclamation at various intervals, "Good girl, Lola!"  Methinks he is training his puppy with his energetic praise, but why doesn't this happen during the daylight hours instead of only at night is beyond me.  We are dog lovers, but also lovers of sleep.  While Lola's goodness is constantly reinforced by praise, we grumble and roll over, trained as well: roll-over Rover! 



Now God does not need our training, but He does desire our praise for He is the very essence of goodness that should invoke our loud, enthusiastic thanks.  Gratitude for His goodness and lovingkindness is the reflection pool of His love towards us.  These attributes are everlasting.  They will go on forever and ever from the seeing through a glass darkly stage to the seeing clearly face to face. (I Corinthians 13:12)



Our other big pup.

Our son needed a sports physical to play high school baseball.  He dreaded the appointment saying the what-if's like, "What if my doctor goes home sick?  What if it's a woman?"  Sure enough, his doctor did go home sick the next day and his replacement was a female, but his physical had to be rescheduled.  He thought he had jinxed it, that he had bad Karma.  I explained that as Christians, we don't believe in Karma.  Missionaries had once explained that Karma to other religions is a serious business because they live in abject fear of it.  This is what happens when you worship gods that have to be placated, who are not full of goodness and lovingkindness. 



Our dog played soccer for an hour all by herself whacking her wiffle ball around the house.
The next morning she picked up her toy monkey and played hockey batting her wiffle ball everywhere. Finally, she dropped the ball on my face as I was drifting off back to sleep after a good-girl-Lola moment inviting me to join in her Springer games. 

So maybe I can train myself whenever I hear, "Good girl, Lola!" in the middle of the night, to say, "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good."  Then I'll just roll over like a good girl, hug my pillow and go back to sleep and hope a wiffle ball doesn't awaken me. 
 

What it feels like to be party to Lola's training.

"Sit. Stay. Speak!"  That's the kind of training I need to
loudly, enthusiastically give praise to God, for He is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment