Pages

Friday, September 16, 2016

PSALM 118


"Open to me the gates of righteousness;
I shall enter through them,
I shall give thanks to the Lord.
This is the gate of the Lord;
The righteous will enter through it.
I shall give thanks to You,
for You have answered me."
(verses 19-21)



So David's returning to Jerusalem., to the temple,
after the joyful shouting in the tents of the righteous with his army.
He is parading through the gates.  This was no sneaking in quietly.
There was some celebrating going on!
He was having church!
Throw open those gates!
Throw open the doors to the temple!



Remember David was a type, a shadow of Christ.
He was a hint of the coming Messiah.
Here is a prophecy that Christ quotes in Matthew 21:42
from Psalm 118...

"The stone which the builder rejected
Has become the chief corner stone."


Remember David was denied the privilege of building the new temple because of all the blood of battles on his hands.  His son Solomon was given that task.  Hmm.  David's blood was not the sacrificial kind that Christ's was which was spilled for us.  This obviously refers to the Jews rejecting Jesus as the Messiah, and He goes further to warn them...

"Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you
and given to a people, producing the fruit of it. 
And he who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces;
but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust."
(Matthew 21:43-44)

Then again in Romans 9:33,

"Behold I lay in Zion
A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense,
And he who believes in Him
will not be disappointed.'"


Then in Isaiah 28:16.

"Therefore thus says the Lord God (YHWH)
'Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone,
A costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed.
He who believes in it will not be disturbed."


Mark 12:12 after again quoting this verse from the Psalms says,

"And they were seeking to seize Him,
and yet they feared the people,
for they understood that He spoke the parable against them.
And so they left Him and went away."

So in as much as the cornerstone is the most important part of a building's construction,
so we have nothing solid in our lives, but sinking sand, apart from Christ.  He is the foundation, the cornerstone of His church.  To many even today, He is offensive.  That's why Christians are persecuted.  Be ready.  It will only get worse.  However we know what this stumbling block, this rock of offense, will do to others who trip over it: instead of entering into the gates of salvation, they will become dust.  Be built up in the house of the Lord or be smashed.  His people will not be disturbed.  He is a tested stone, like a diamond that is one of the hardest, most lasting of stones, a costly one.



"This is marvelous in our eyes."
(Psalm 118, verse 23)
Hey, you are the bride of Christ!
Get your diamond on!!


When we wanted to choose my wedding ring, we went off the beaten path, a little hippie-ish shall I say.  Instead of an engagement ring, I told my man since we didn't have much money to use since we were going off to Point Loma to college, that I would rather buy a piece of furniture.  So we went to an antique store and bought our dresser and a drop-leaf desk spending less than a ring.  For my wedding ring, we went to a jeweler who had helped me make lost-wax rings in high school.  This is when wax is formed into a design, then cast and swirled around in almost a washing machine type of contraption.  Gold is then heated and flows molten into the casting where the wax has melted away.  I even made wedding rings for my sister's college roommate.  For unconventional-me, I thought diamonds too common and wanted just something pretty.  Our jeweler warned that the pearl I desired would not stand the test of time because it was too fragile and would crack.  He showed us a cats-eye crystobural, close to the color of my eyes, that was about as strong as a diamond.  There is a reason diamond are used in wedding rings: they last.  Christ as our costly cornerstone will last.   




That piece of coal under intense pressure became a diamond. 
So marvel!







No comments:

Post a Comment