Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2016

PSALM 119


"Blessed are You, O Lord;
Teach me Your statutes.
With my lips I have told of
All the ordinances of Your mouth.
I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
As much in all riches.
I will meditate on Your precepts
And regard Your ways.
I shall delight in Your statues;
I shall not forget Your word."
(verses 12-16)

From God's mouth to my lips.



Being teachable is an essential to good character.  The Psalmist wants to be always taught, to learn more of God's word, to rejoice in it more than in all riches.  He wants to meditate on His ways and to delight in what His word lays down so that he may never forget it.  Is it garbage in, garbage out or God's word in, God's word out?  People fill themselves with so much chaff, like stuffing a scarecrow and propping it up.  But God's Word is a rich blessing that brings life.



"He should beg Him to become his teacher, that his heart and conscience might be instructed...O how great is the treasure of a tender and approving conscience." (Adam Clarke)



"I shall delight myself"

"The word is very emphatical: I will skip about and jump for joy.  He must exult in God's word as his treasure, live in the spirit of obedience as His work, and ever glory in God who has called him to such a state of salvation." (Adam Clarke)



When we recently went to watch our twelve year old twin daughters in the softball regional play-offs in San Bernadino, it was hot.  Their five year old twin siblings got to go along whether they wanted to or not.  I believe we were much more excited to be there than they were.  But they were constantly reminded that if they were good, they would have a surprise after it was all over.  There in the little hotel sitting room, it was revealed: they were going to Disneyland!  Such screaming and jumping around with joy!  Yep.  That's kinda what this verse is talking about.



You see, we are on a long trip with our Father who is instructing us along the way.  Sometimes we forget that we are actually going somewhere because the way seems so long and at times difficult.  But heaven is promised, and I do believe it is a tad better than the happiest place on earth.  We should be skipping and jumping for joy! 






So you there, all by yourself with your facebook, why don't you stand up and just do a little jump.  Maybe it will put a smile on God's face as well as your own.  Go ahead and make His day!  Delight
yourself.  






No comments:

Post a Comment