Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2016

PSALM 119




"May Your lovingkindnesses also come to me, O Lord,
Your salvation according to Your word;
So I will have an answer for him who reproaches me,
For I trust in Your word.
And do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
For I wait for your ordinances."
(verses 41-43)



There is nothing like a ripe, crisp apple. 
Once you've bit in, an aroma is released.
We stopped at a fruit stand recently. 
Their apples weren't perfect looking,
 but they were taste perfection!
What's in your mouth?




Lovingkindness and mercy are one in the same.  So how does this mercy come to us in the battles of life?  We are not left defenseless.  Galatians 5:11ff says that the sword of the Spirit is the Word of God.  The Psalmist  declares here that salvation is according to the Word.    So become a sword- swallower: let that flaming sword go down deep in your mouth, then pull it back out ready to battle.
  

Jesus Himself used Scripture to defeat the Devil in His temptation. 
This is how you will have a ready answer. 
Trust in His Word.  It is your weapon of choice. 



Then comes this verse I like so well,
"Do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth."



Notes from The Treasury of David Commentator...
"we should always confess the avowed Truth boldly and manfully." 



"He who has once preached the Gospel from his heart is filled with horror at the idea of being put out of the ministry; he will crave to be allowed a little share in the holy testimony, and will reckon his dumb (mute) Sabbaths to be days of banishment and punishment." 



Being married to a preacher who spent nearly forty years behind a pulpit, I can attest this to be so true.  Though retired from pastoral ministry and while he has gone on to another kind of ministry, he misses the pulpit.  He is eager because he will soon be transitioning from being a Director at a Teen Challenge Crisis Center to being sent to their training center where he will be teaching the Word of God as well as preaching more often.   


Asking not to take the Word of truth out of the mouth is like saying please, please, please don't take food out of my mouth.  Even Christ said it was His food and drink to do the will of God.  He also said when tempted by Satan, "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out the mouth of God." (Matt. 4:4) 




"Oh what a service can a dumb (mute) body do in Christ's house!...  Oh, I am a dry tree!  Alas, I can neither plant nor water!  'Sirrah, I will not send you; I have no errands for you...' My desire to serve Him is sick of jealousy, lest He be unwilling to employ me...Only my silence pains me.  I had one joy out of heaven, next to Christ my Lord, and that was to preach Him to this faithless generation, and they have taken that from me.  It was to me as the poor man's one eye; and they have put out that eye."  Samuel Rutherford.  Do you get the agony in this quote from long ago?




Why do I spend my entire mornings writing a blog?  Is it because I have that much too say?  Hardly.    Yet, over the past five years, in small doses of 20-50+ readers a day, I've had over 50,000 hits.  It is because the Word of God is too rich to hoard.  It must be shared. You don't have to be a preacher to share the Word of God.  You don't even have to be a blogger to share the Word of God, but share it we must.  Ask God what He wants you to do with that Word in your mouth.  Maybe it is to republish a Bible verse on fb or even feel free to share my blog at any time.  But ask how He wants you to wield that sword of the Spirit, His Word.  That's an offer He can't refuse.








No comments:

Post a Comment