Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

PSALM 119

verses 26-27, 29-32





"I have told of my ways, and You have answered me;
Teach me Your statutes,
Make me understand the way of Your precepts,
So I will meditate on Your wonders.
Remove the false way from me,
And graciously grant me Your law.
I have chosen the faithful way;
I have placed Your ordinances before me.
I cling to Your testimonies;
O Lord, do not put me to shame!
I shall run the way of Your commandments,
For You will enlarge my heart."




Teach me,
Make me understand,
Remove the false,
Graciously grant me,
Enlarge my heart.



I meditate,
I cling,
I have chosen,
I shall run...

David had a teachable spirit, a man after God's own heart.  Those go together.  There is no other way to God's heart than to have a teachable spirit, the heart of flesh instead of a heart of stone.  Do you see in the condensed version of these verses that flexibility, that propensity of an open heart to receive the things God will grant?  The most beautiful declaration of the Psalmist here is the confidence that God would enlarge his heart.  An enlarged heart medically is not a good thing, it is a sign that one is not long for this world.  An enlarged heart in the biblical sense is that it is so full of God's love that it is near bursting, overflowing. 


"God by His Spirit, enlarges the hearts of his people when He gives them wisdom (for that is called largeness of heart, I King 4:29), when He sheds abroad the love of God in the heart, and puts gladness there.  The joy of our Lord should be wheels to our obedience." (Matthew Henry)



"Now God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much,
and largeness of heart,
even as the sand that is on the sea shore."
I Kings 4:29
(KVJ)



"God gave...wisdom
and breath of mind,
breath of heart."
(NASV)

"And hope maketh not ashamed;
because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts
by the Holy Ghost which was given to us."
Romans 5:5 KJV



The question is do you have room to grow?  Do I?  Is your heart flexible or hardened?  Is mine?  I've been feeling a little bit calloused of late, jaded, weary.  Perhaps that is cutting me off from some of the love that God wants to shed abroad in my heart.  I need God to soften my heart.  How about you?  


No comments:

Post a Comment