Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

PSALM 119
verses 3-8


"They also do no unrighteousness;
They walk in His ways.
You have ordained Your precepts,
That we should keep them diligently.
Oh that my ways may be established
To keep Your statutes!
Then I shall not be ashamed
When I look upon all Your commandments.
I shall give thanks to You with uprightness of heart,
When I learn Your righteous judgments
I shall keep Your statutes;
Do not forsake me utterly!"


 

When David wrote this in his day, he basically only had the first five books of the Torah.  We have so much more including his beautiful Psalms to the prophets to the whole New Testament.  David was a man after God's own heart.  He truly desired to walk in His ways.  He is like a good boy who does not want to be ashamed, desiring to have uprightness of heart.  Do you know that feeling?  However, David also knew he needed to cry, "Do not forsake me utterly!"  We can't do this alone, can we.  Adam Clarke breaks this down verse by verse...



"They avoid all idolatry, injustice and wrong; and they walk in God's ways, not in those ways to which an evil heart might entice them, nor those in which the thoughtless and the profligate tread." (verse 3)

"God has never given a commandment, the observance of which He knew to be impossible.  And to whatsoever He has commanded He requires obedience; and his grace is sufficient for us.  We must not trifle with God." (verse 4)

"Without Thee I can do nothing: my soul is unstable and fickle; and it will continue weak and uncertain, ill Thou dost strengthen and establish it." (verse 5)


"Every act of transgression in the wicked man tends to harden his heart, and render it callous.  If a man who fears God is so unhappy as to fall into sin, his conscience reproaches him, and he is ashamed before God and man.  This is a full proof that God's Spirit has not utterly departed from him, and that he may repent, believe, and be healed." (verse 6)


"God requires universal obedience, and all things are possible to him whom Christ strengthens; and all things are possible to him that believes." (verse 7)


We all want someone to catch us when we slide down.

"O forsake me not utterly, to utter dereliction; never leave me to my own strength, nor to my own heart!" (verse 8)


Jesus Himself cried on the cross, "Why has Thou forsaken me?"  How blessed we are that we never have to suffer feeling forsaken by God.  Rather, He has suffered when we forsake Him.  We are privileged to call Him, "Abba, Father." This is a perspective that David desired in his heart, but which was not revealed until Christ as a privilege we could claim.  David's dad did not even think him worth the lineup when Samuel came to choose the next king from his sons.  The runt was out singing and playing his harp while keeping the sheep.  However, his heavenly Father found him of great worth.  David spent his life pursuing God's will.  When he fell, he repented with great sorrow and got back up and went on unashamedly following after God.


I was born with a little independence in my soul which my parents recognized while I was very young.  If we went to a restaurant, I wanted my own table, and sometimes they would allow me to sit by myself.  Yet, little Miss-Independent-Me knew the gripping fear when I thought I was lost and alone.  I wanted my parent in sight even if I wasn't holding on to their hand.  How much better to hold tightly to God's hand and never become separated from Him.  It's a little safer to walk in His ways that way without stumbling or becoming lost.







No comments:

Post a Comment